Chapter 25: He is dead

Gabriella's POV:

As I enter the school's cafeteria I spot my friends making the line to get food. I join them and we sit on our usual table shortly after.

I notice them giving each other secret glances and opening their mouths to speak only to close them once again. 

"You are acting weird." I say and they both look at me with sad expressions on their faces. "What happened?" I ask and Ben nods at Addi.

"We heard about what happened during Biology, with you and Finn." she starts and I shake my head trying to get her to stop speaking about it. "We saw him leave just now. His hands were bleeding." she gulps and I try to erase the memory of Finn punching the wall with all his mighty. 

"I just asked him something about his dad and he went crazy. He punched the wall and told me I wouldn't understand because my life is perfect." I scoff by the end of the last sentence and Addi furrows her eyebrows. 

"I don't know what it is with him and his dad." Ben chimes in. "He always flips when he's mentioned by anyone." he explains and I recall the time Finn took me to the tree house they built.

The way he looked sad and angry at the same time. His breathing was raged and he continuously ran a hand through his hair. He was about to lose control that day, but now he actually did. 

I know I should be pissed off at Finn for speaking to me in such a way, but I can't help the guilt that creeps onto because I was the one who brought that side of him. 

"Gabs, are you all right?" Addi questions and I just nod slowly. My head spins as I'm debating on what is the right thing to do. 

Maybe Finn wouldn't have said that to me if I wouldn't have asked.

Or maybe it's just an excuse to be mean

What if he is hurt?

What if this is my fault?

Fuck

I hate how Finn is making me question myself when I never had before. He's awakened something buried deep inside of me and I hate it. I hate how a couple hours ago I was breaking down in the bathroom because of the way his words had affected me and now I'm worried about where he is.

I barely know him!

I can't come into sense with myself right now. There's just too much going on inside of my head for me to understand, but I know what I have to do.

***

I knock on the door and frown when no one answers. "Finn! I know you are in there." I yell as I continue to knock loudly. "Please Finn."

The door opens and a blonde woman comes into view. Her hair is messy, her eyes bloodshot and there is a strong scent pouring from her.

Alcohol.

"I'm looking for Finn." I blurt out while she stares at me blankly. 

Too blunt

"He's not here." she drawls on her words and I tilt my head to the side. "I'm Jill, his mother." she tells me and extends her hand to shake mine. 

"Gabriella." She smiles and I return the gesture. "I can come back, since he is not here." I say and take a step back.

"Oh, no. He'll be back in an hour. I sent him grocery shopping." she giggles and I snort. Jill walks inside and frowns at me. "Well? Aren't you coming in?" she questions and I hesitate before entering the house and closing the door behind me.