chapter twenty

"hey." seonghwa greeted hongjoong dryly from his usual seat. hongjoong glanced over for a split second, quickly turning his attention back to the television in front of him.

"um.. hi." hongjoong quietly responded, slightly confusing seonghwa.

"ok... what are you watching?" he tried to make conversation with the younger, but hongjoong just pointed to the tv without speaking to seonghwa.

"what's up with you today, cat's got your tongue? why are you being so quiet?" seonghwa asked and hongjoong instantly began panicking. 

"u-uh... i--"

"you know what, i'm not really sure why i'm questioning it. it's better when you don't speak, because then i don't have to answer." seonghwa shrugged his shoulders and looked down to his hands, opening his phone and scrolling through the instagram app.

hongjoong let out a quiet sigh. he was extremely nervous, more nervous than he's ever been around any guy he's ever liked.

while seonghwa looked down at his phone, hongjoong watched the older from afar. hongjoong noticed that he wasn't dressed as nice as usual this morning, wearing a simple black t shirt and gray sweatpants rather than his usual leather jacket and black skinny jeans. hongjoong didn't understand how the boy could make such a simple outfit look so effortlessly beautiful.

hongjoong began admiring all the little things about seonghwa as he stared at him. he noticed how seonghwa was constantly running his fingers through his hair, moving it out of his face when it fell in front of his eyes. seonghwa would squint ever so slightly every time he seemed to be reading something, sticking his tongue out a bit in the corner of his mouth when concentrating. he was always licking his beautiful plump lips, even picking at them occasionally.

hongjoong realized that if he didn't stop staring at the boy, he'd eventually catch him. he quickly turned his attention back towards the tv and tried his best to focus on the scenes in front of him.

after about a half an hour of silence, seonghwa looked up to make sure the boy was still sitting in his seat and didn't wander off when he wasn't paying attention. he saw hongjoong sitting quietly and staring at the television so he turned his head back down to his phone. after a split second, seonghwa shot his head back up and realized there was something different about the boy's look.

seonghwa stood up and walked towards the blonde, catching his attention. hongjoong started shaking a bit once he noticed seonghwa's eyes were intensely studying his face.

"you put on makeup today." seonghwa stated, looking deeply into hongjoong's eyes.

"yeah i-i did. i was bored, that's why i did it! there was no other reason, i-i swear!" hongjoong stuttered out, trying his best to defend himself in the situation.

"it's literally eleven in the morning, who wakes up early enough that they can be bored before eleven?" seonghwa questioned and hongjoong nervously shrugged.

seonghwa looked the younger up and down and noticed the makeup wasn't the only different thing about his appearance today. hongjoong's typical crew neck and sweatpants were swapped with a nicely designed shirt and a pair of jeans, slightly shocking seonghwa.

"you also dressed up more than usual. there has to be a reason, just tell me." seonghwa grew a devilish grin on his face, making hongjoong more nervous at his change of expression.

he has to know... maybe i shouldn't have gotten so dressed up this morning, hongjoong thought to himself.

"why do you think there's a reason?" hongjoong asked.