Chapter 31

Third Person POV

The group made it safely to a nearby park where they all decided to simply chill and talk, as well as goof around and play on the kid slides and swings.

At first everything started as a fun time with friends, but later on, each couple settled on a specific part of the park to enjoy each other's company.

Rio and Asano laid their backs on the slides and stared at the beautiful night sky above them. They talked about their relationship and how much they were enjoying their new endeavor together as a couple.

Nagisa and Kaede sat on the edge of the sandbox, playing with the sand while talking about nonsensical things and making each other laugh.

Karma and Manami settled on the swings. They too talked about their relationship at first, but then began talking about fun videos and gossip they had seen lately roaming around school. As Karma pushed Manami on the swing, they too laughed and made jokes only they would understand.

This was all well and sweet, however, by doing so, they were completely forgetting that they were leaving Itona and Chiemi out of the loop.

"Is it just me, or are we totally third wheeling?" Chiemi said with a nervous laugh.

Both were sitting on a park bench, simply watching the scene before them unfold.

"Yep." Replied Itona. "We are totally third wheeling."

"But what can we do?" Chiemi continued. "They look happy. It's best if we just sit here and wait. Don't you think?"

Itona looked towards Chiemi. "Yeah. I think that's what would be best right now. By the way, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why did you run away from the table?"

Chiemi's cheeks grew red and felt as her heartbeat increased to an abnormal rate. However, she didn't have anyone to run to right now. They were all too busy enjoying their boyfriends' company, which meant that it was time for her to face the problem head on.

"Oh, that? Haha... don't worry. I just got a little shy. My hearing impairment... it makes me really insecure."

"Oh... I see." Itona looked down at his hands and let out a sigh of relief. "Well, now I can rest easy. For a moment there I thought I had scared you off!"

Completely thrown off by his reply, Chiemi quickly turned to face Itona. "Wait... you weren't weirded out about me?! About me being all... you know... basically deaf?"

Itona laughed softly while covering his face a bit. "No of course not! I was more worried about the impression I made on you! I know I don't particularly have the friendliest appearance. And I've been told I look a bit intimidating, so I was truly worried that I had scared you."

"I see! Wow, now I feel a little dumb haha. For giving into my insecurities..."

Chiemi and Itona remained quiet for a bit, but the boy didn't want to let their conversation die, especially since they really didn't have anything else to do.

"By the way," he began. "You aren't weird for having the hearing impairment. If anything, in my eyes, it makes you special."

Chiemi furrowed her brows and scoffed a bit in confusion.

"Oh, really? How so?"

"Well, for starters. It's not every day someone meets someone like you, but it is every day that someone meets a completely normal person with no resounding aspect or anything to make them stand out. Maybe looks? But even then, it's not as special.

You have a completely different perspective of life, one that none of us will ever understand. Your way of viewing the world is unique and not as common as the one the rest of us see.