Chapter 24

Third Person POV
(It's a long chapter omg sorryyyyy)

Manami's body felt numb. All she could do was simply stare out of the car window as they passed countless buildings. All she could see were the blurry lights of the cars ahead, her eyes unable to focus on anything.

"How are you feeling?" Asano asked, bringing Manami out of her numbed state.

However, she couldn't seem to reply. All her body could muster was a simple shrug.

"It was a panic attack. You know?" Asano added. "What happened to you was a panic attack."

This got the girl's attention.

"What? Why?"

Asano chuckled softly. "Shouldn't I ask you that?"

Once again, Manami looked out of the car window.

Were Akemi and her minions' words really that powerful?

"Your teacher lives pretty far. I'm surprised you walked all the way there once."

Asano continued to try and make small talk. After all, he didn't want her to dwell so much on the feelings she felt earlier. He also didn't  want to get in trouble with Nakamura. If anything happened to Manami on his watch, he wouldn't hear the end of it.

"Is Akemi really a nice person? You've known her for a longer time than me." Manami finally spoke up.

"I mean, I never had a full conversation with her, but from what people have told me, she's apparently really nice."

Manami scoffed at Asano's words.

"Yeah right."

Asano chuckled anew. "Wow. So much poison in your tone. Why do you ask though? Is she the reason you were all shaken up?"

Is it safe to tell him the truth? I don't know. Something tells me that he will just continue to make small talk if I keep my mouth shut...

Oh what the heck.

"Well..." she began. "Yes. As you probably already know, she has a crush on Karma. The thing is that her friends had already been bullying me since day one. I just didn't think that Akemi was actually involved with them closely. She was nice to me and all that stuff.

But then today, she walks into the restroom and tells me that she won't give up on Karma. That we are now at war and that she is going to take him away from me. And I don't know about you pretty people, but when someone who is clearly better than me picks a fight... I cower. And I hide.

I have never been one to like conflict and I always try to get along with everyone who is willingly trying to get along with me. So what Akemi said completely threw me off guard... So I guess I panicked and now we're here."

Manami turned to look at Asano who was still looking straight ahead. His eyes were somehow soft and understanding. But it's Asano, it can be taken many different ways.

I bet he is actually mocking me... everyone does...now that I realize it... No one seems to take me seriously when I'm angry.

"I'm guessing this is why you need to see your teacher?" He interrupted, pulling Manami out of her self destructive thoughts.

"Yeah... Somehow I know she'll know what to say in this situation..." Manami looked straight ahead. "She might not look it... but she is actually pretty wise."

The car was silent for what seemed like forever. None of them spoke another word.

Of course, it was silent on the outside, but inside Asano's mind there was turmoil. The most defenseless girl he thought he knew, was not what she appeared to be.