Chapter 16

Third Person POV

It's late... He's not home...

Manami sat on the couch, waiting anxiously for Karma to come back.

When she received that text from Kayano, her heart dropped to her stomach.

How am I going to explain?... How am I supposed to explain?...

Everything had fallen apart. She couldn't keep up with the pace of the situation. It all just happened so fast.

That's what I get for waiting so long to tell him...

She buried her face in her hands and sobbed.

How must he be feeling?... Is he okay? Why isn't he home yet?... It's midnight.

Whenever she called his phone, it went to voicemail. There wasn't any other way to contact him. All she could do was wait.

However, she had been waiting for him to come back since four in the afternoon.

Her anxiousness was killing her; her worriment increasing as every minute went by.

That's it.

She stood up from the couch, got her phone and coat, and walked towards the door.

I don't even know where to start looking, but I have to try.

Just as Okuda was about to reach for the handle, she heard keys jingle from the other side of the door.

He's here.

She took a step back and waited for him to come inside.

Please... Let me explain...

The door opened.

"K-Karma! Why are you so late? I was worried!"

The redhead kept his gaze low. His bangs were covering his eyes as he tried to avoid looking at his girlfriend.

"Well, I'm back now." He said expressionless.

Okuda sighed, relieved that he was okay, and reached out to help him with his coat. "Here, let me–"

"I'm fine." Karma said callously as he moved the opposite direction to avoid her touch.

Once again, Manami's chest began to ache uncontrollably. It felt as if her heart was slowly breaking away; Karma's avoidance hurt her more than she thought it would.

Although her senses signaled her to cry, she instead laughed nervously. After all, crying has never gotten her anywhere.

"Hehe... Well... I guess I do deserve that."

Manami kept trying to stay strong and not let a single tear escape her eyes. Her hands were balled up into trembling fists; her head was now facing down in shame.

I need to try and explain... There's no running away now... I can't... I have to–

Before she could finish her mental conversation, Karma coldly walked past her without saying a word or looking at her.