Chapter 29

(Extra long chapter because I was gone for so long 😔 I'm so sorry you guys. Life just never works in my favor 🤦‍♀️ if you have to, please re read the previous chapter cause I understand it has been A WHILE. Also let me know of any typos please. I want to make your reading experience better!.)

Third Person POV

"You seem to have your hands full with all those shopping bags. Do you perhaps... want me to help?"

Manami paid no mind and instead stood still in front of the door, utterly speechless. She could not believe her eyes.

"K-Karma's m-m-mom?" She stuttered.

"Oh sweetie!" Mrs. Akabane laughed. "Are you that shocked? C'mon. Let me help you with your bags and then we can talk about who you are and why you are staying with my son."

"Y-You're back?" Manami said, completely ignoring what Karma's mom had said previously.

"Okay, you are clearly not going to listen so–"

The woman grabbed the bags from Manami's hands and set them down on one of the couches.

"Let's sit down at the dining table and have a little chat."

Manami followed Mrs. Akabane to the dining table and took a seat, still dazed with shock.

W-Why is she here? She is literally NEVER here. Why now? When I'm arguing with her son.

"So!" Mrs. Akabane began as she took a seat in front of Manami. "Let's start easy. What's your name?"

"I'm Okuda M-Manami. It's n-nice to finally meet you." The girl replied, bowing her head slightly.

"I see." Mrs. Akabane eyed the girl before her, inspecting her every aspect and making Manami feel intimidated. "And who are you? As in, why are you coming into our house, like it's yours?"

"Oh, I uhm, I-I'm–" Manami stopped herself.

Should I really tell her? That I'm dating Karma? Seriously where is he when I need him!

"I'm a friend, I think." Manami finally finished. "Yeah, just a friend."

Mrs. Akabane took another quick glance at Manami and tilted her head in confusion.

"Oh really? Huh. Then I guess all the girl clothes in my son's bedroom belong to someone else. It's funny though. They look a size small. Like they could fit you–"

"Yes! I am Karma's girlfriend!" Manami interrupted, causing Mrs. Akabane to jump slightly at her outburst.

Dammit. I crack so easily under pressure!

The room was silent for what felt like forever. Karma's mom continued to eye Manami up and down while Manami tried her best not to lose her composure.

It was her boyfriend's mom, so of course, she wanted to leave a good impression.

"Well..." Mrs. Akabane started, breaking the silence. "You can't date him."

"Wha–"

"Oh I'm just messing with yah!" Mrs. Akabane laughed loudly while reaching for Manami's hand across the table. "I just wanted to see your reaction! Wow. You have quite the amusing facial expressions!"

"Wait, what is going o–"

"Oh don't worry sweetie." Mrs. Akabane cut in. "I knew you were his girlfriend from the start! He doesn't know this, but I have a secret account and follow him on social media. Yeah... he posts a lot of pictures with you, did you know that?