"And I've missed so much. That's why this was so important to me. I don't want to miss anymore of ya life." Mom explains.

I smile, sniffling again as the perfect opportunity to tell my mother about my pregnancy presents itself. "Or any of your grandchild's life." I say.

I raise my head just in time to catch Mom's reaction. Her eyes widen, and she shuffles back in shock. Her hand flies to her chest as she lets out a shocked breath. She doesn't speak for a moment, causing concern to wash over me, and the smile on my face to disappear. She's disappointed, she's sad, she's angry? I can't quite decipher how she feels, and that makes me feel more sick than I have before. I want my mother to be happy. I want her to be proud.

"Mom?" I place a hand on the glass, and look at my mother with pleading eyes.

Mom closes her eyes and takes another deep breath before focusing back on me with the same unreadable eyes.

"Really?" She ask quietly.

I nod. "I'm 11 weeks along."

Mom's face illuminates as her mouth curves into a wide smile. "I'm going to be a grandma!" She exclaims.

I nod again, laughing at her joy. I reach into my bag pulling out my copy of the sonogram pictures and showing them to her through the glass.

"Oh." Mom sighs, placing a hand over her mouth. "So tiny yet so perfect. Have ya told Jason?"

"Yeah, I told him." I reply, ducking my head.

"What's wrong?" She ask, instantly concerned.

I huff before explaining all about Jason's new job to my mother. She sits quietly, listening intently to everything.

"And now, he says he can't make it to my appointment next week." I finish.

Mom nods, letting out a sigh before speaking. "Lucy, I know how hard it is to go through a pregnancy without the father. But I also know how much easier a pregnancy is when ya're surrounded by people who love and support ya. I would never have made it without Kathleen, Ivy, Selina, or Preston. And ya have an amazing family who is willin to help ya. Don't worry, baby, ya're going to be just fine." Mom comforts. "And don't worry about Jason either. That boy loves you, he adores you. And everything he's doin, he's doin for ya and the little one."

"I know." I say. Mom smiles. "When do you get out?" I ask.

"2 more weeks of final treatment, then I'm free." She answers.

"This is going to be a long two weeks." I tease, and Mom giggles.

My mother and I talk a little longer before she is escorted off for her afternoon treatment. I walk out of her room and back down the hallway, not even glancing towards my father's room. I sign out at the front desk, then exit the building. I pull my jacket tighter as the crisp air nips at me. I settle into the car, putting on some calming music before I make the journey home. As I pull into the garage, I let out a small yawn.

I walk into the house, instantly making a beeline for the back staircase. I walk up the stairs quietly, dragging my hand along the smooth railing.

"Ah, welcome home, Miss Lucy. How was your mother?" Alfred ask as we pass one another in the hallway.

"She was wonderful. Thank you for asking." I smile before continuing on towards my room.

I enter the bedroom, instantly warmed by the burning fire. I smile, removing my jacket and stretching. I discard my shoes and jacket in the closet, then make my way towards the bed. I settle into the plush mattress just as a knock comes at the door.