Chapter 11: Cassandra and Allegra

Zayn's POV

"What the fuck is this?" Luna repeats, holding up my padlock to the freezer downstairs, now broken in her deceivingly delicate hands

I stumble for a response and she throws the padlock at my chest, her eyes flashing an angry red that I'm still not used to seeing on her.

"There is a freezer downstairs filled with blood bags and a fucking log of when someone has been feeding on them." Her eyebrows furrow as her tone becomes even more accusatory

"I can explain, Luna." I raise my hands in defeat, now much more aware of how my lying can tear apart a relationship thanks to Scarlett. 

We are interrupted by the baby monitor, the sound of a shrill cry that had been burned into my brain filling our ears. 

"Shit." Luna says under her breath "I'll get-"

"No, I interrupt, I will." I interrupt, hoping to earn some brownie points

I start making my way to the nursery, down the hall away from the living room. It only takes a moment for me to realise something isn't right. I pause in my tracks, listening. A swift crack jolts me out of my calmness, a sound I recognise as a breaking of the neck and more footsteps than I had accounted for. 

Before I have a chance to think about it I'm back in the living room, a blur of motion. Luna lay on the floor, neck twisted. Next to her, I saw a flicker of movement you'd only notice if you had as much experience with witches as I had. A cloaking spell. I reach to the back of my utility belt, pulling the small pocket knife I kept there at all times. I throw it fast and hard at the flicker and it when it hits the flicker, a woman appears from thin air, the witch that had cloaked herself with the spell. The knife penetrates her chest, lodging deep into her flesh. She stumbles back, a look of shock spreading over her vaguely familiar face. 

"Now, I aimed for the right side of your chest, this time." I stare her down, wanting to remember her face "You've made a mistake, you see. If you wanted to sneak around and survive you should've snapped my neck, she is the one who frowns on murder, I am the one who will use your body as a dartboard if you don't tell me why the fuck you're in my house snapping my fiance's neck." 

She coughs a little blood, wiping it away from her lips before she speaks "Luna's lost her way. She's a blood Incubus, she isn't fit to run this group." 

I chuckle lowly at her answer, pulling a cigarette from the pack in my pocket, along with the lighter. I light it quickly, balancing it between my lips and taking a quick drag before puffing out.

"I don't like being lied to." I walk closer to her. She was quite obviously not looking for a way out, she knew she could never outrun me, the cloaking spell was her best chance and it failed "The witches don't give a shit about the politics here." 

I was trying my best not to give into my old ways, that being torture, but she had invaded my home and hurt Luna.

I walk behind her, stretching her neck out to the side and grasping her arm tightly. She trembles at my touch. 

"I don't want to hurt you... well I do, but I'd rather not have to." I continue as her breathing picks up rapidly while I run a finger across her long neck "What're you doing here."

"I was sent to kill Luna." She lies again

"If you wanted to kill Luna, you wouldn't have snapped her neck." I conclude, lowering my voice to a whisper "Which means you're a distraction."

I can hear by the way her heartbeat picks up that I'm correct. My mind instantly goes to Cyra. I kneel and take the woman's leg, breaking it with a quick snap before charging to Cyra's room.