Chapter 37: Katjaa and Elias

Zayn's POV

The house is modern in decor, the walls stretching far to the high ceiling, painted a muted grey with risen panels running along with them, interrupted by a large built-in flat screen television, positioned above a square fireplace with black stones crawling up the wall and the occasional piece of artwork framed proudly. The large sofas, one of which we all sit on impatiently, is charcoal black, ridiculously long and extravagantly comfortable. An abstract coffee table rests in between us and the second sofa, facing us intimidatingly. These people - whoever they are - are well off, clearly very old and possess a lot more knowledge about my family than I could have anticipated.

"Mother?" Loki scoffs to the side of me "Does she really fucking expect us to believe she's our mother?"

"Watch your mouth." Luna scolds, pointing to Cyra, who's sat in my lap.

I've refused to let her go, my need to have her close palpable at this point, along with my willingness to tear the throat out of anyone who wishes to take her from me again. She's sleeping peacefully on my chest, sprawled out, mouth open and dribble soaking through my black t-shirt. I'm taking the habit of rubbing her small back slowly, the sound of breath flowing heavily from her lungs and out through her parted lips being the most beautiful sound to me right now, almost as beautiful as the feeling of Luna's fingers firmly interlocked with my free hand, her body tucked closely next to mine as we boil in our anticipation on this sofa.

Because I'm your mother. The words are just as rife in my memory as they were forty-five minutes ago when Katjaa first uttered them. I've not really taken the time to digest them, I don't want to. I want to take my family and leave, but evidently, she has other plans.

"Let's just try to get out of this with our heads on our shoulders." Pandora nods at Loki "They don't seem to be hellbent on hurting us, and if you keep effing and blinding at them, that might change."

"I'd like to see them try." Scarlett huffs "Blood on my hands is nothing new."

"Are you forgetting how easily she cracked Loki's spine?" Pandora counters "I know your old, Scar, but so is she. Even if she couldn't get all of us, she could get one of us, at least."

Scarlett sits back into her seat, cursing under her breath. I don't want to pay attention to them, the bickering, the planning. Luna's heart is racing beside me as she looks up at me, blue orbs darkening like a storm at sea.

"What if this woman really is your mother, Zayn?" She whispers.

"We're getting Cyra out of here." I answer, knowing I haven't addressed her question, but I don't want to formulate that answer.

I've searched for my family my whole life, believing they were human, that there was something in me that was tied to humanity, to normalcy. If these people are my family, if Katjaa and Elias are my parents, none of that is true. I was born into this fucked up occult world, born into black magic, born bad. I've always liked to credit myself for my fucked up psyche, but if these people are who they say they are, my problems may be more due to nature than nurture than I thought.

The click of heels distracts me from my mulling, my eyes lifting in the direction of the sound, finding Katjaa walking toward us, her black jeans flaring outwards towards the ends, black velvet corset top leaving her lower belly on show, belly button pierced with a silver piece of jewellery and a simplistic tattoo on her hip bone, depicting a crescent moon, shaded in and merging with the circle of a sun on the other side of the circumference, delicate but impactful.

In her hand, she holds a tray of sliced pitta bread, browned in spots like it had been freshly cooked, and a large bowl of humous, a small glass bottle with a red oil place next to them. She positions it on the coffee table in front of us, her silver chain bracelet sliding down her forearm across another tattoo on the inside of her wrist, a fine line symbol of a circle with four lines breaking off from it. The symbol for Incubus. I have the same tattoo on my back somewhere. She flashes a half-smile while another set of footsteps follows into the room behind her.