Chapter 53: The Cabin in the Woods I

Luna's POV

My hand instinctively cradles my rounded stomach as I watch Zayn haul our bags up the steps of the large cabin. I always thought being an occult would make me much less fearful of the dark, but I admittedly rushed to get into the light of the cabin and out of the darkness of the surrounding woods. Though the veridian green glow of the trees bathed in the moonlight is pretty, I'd much prefer to admire it from inside the safety of the cabin's four wooden walls.

Zayn's arm snakes around my waist after placing the suitcase by the staircase – with no railing – and kisses my forehead sweetly, I melt into his side, head resting on his shoulder as we watch Loki bring in his and Evelyn's bags while she pours him a glass of wine that she had ready rather fast. Scarlett circles the room with her arms folded as Pandora watches her from the sofa.

"I'm glad we did this." Loki huffs as he places the bags down "Won't be much time for anymore adventures with the gang once that one pops out."

He points to my stomach, slowly growing but only a small bump at the moment.

"We were lucky Mateo agreed to watch the kids." He continues.

I swallow the lump in my throat when I think of the boarding house, and Zoey's absence in the cabin becomes even more suffocatingly evident. I invited her, of course, but she declined, of course. I believe her exact words were 'I'd rather pull duct tape off my eyebrows than spend a weekend in a cabin with Loki and Evelyn.' A fair trade, but one that upset me, nonetheless.

"Well, let's make the most of it, no? Late night swim in the lake?" Evelyn suggests, allowing her eyes to illuminate a dark green, the same as the colour of the lake a few minutes away from the cabin.

"As much as I'd love to see you flex your tail, Eve, I'd love to go to my room to fuck my wife more, frankly." Zayn squeezes my side, and I gently elbow him.

"God, Zayn." I roll my eyes "Have you ever heard of being subtle?"

He smirks at me before turning his attention back towards Loki.

"You guys have fun, we'll be upstairs."

"You have all night to fuck, come to the lake." Evelyn pouts, grabbing more glasses from the cupboard and pouring wine into them, she hesitates over the last glass, shooting me a look before placing the bottle down "Sorry, Ghost, you're cut off."

"I don't want any either." Scarlett shakes her head, which makes Zayn's head snap in her direction. They share a look, one that is hard to ignore, one that is very quickly followed by Loki's cackle.

"You're fucking pregnant, Scar!" He concludes loudly, grinning to himself proudly.

"Are you?!" Zayn's eyes widen as I attempt to listen for an extra heartbeat in the room.

"Please, I don't want one sip of wine and all of a sudden, I must be pregnant?" Scarlett folds her arms and scoffs "The IVF has been unsuccessful so far, I just don't fancy getting drunk before getting into a lake late at night with a murderous mermaid."

"It'll happen, Scar." I say quietly, locking my eyes with hers, suddenly feeling guilty about my small bump.

"Did I hear that you're coming to the lake then?" Evelyn changes the subject, taking another sip of wine.

"Fine." Scarlett huffs "I'll get changed."

"We will also be taking our clothes off." Zayn pecks my neck, hands gripping my waist, trying to urge me upstairs.

I swat him off me, pretending to be unamused, when I am just as excited to get upstairs as he is.

"Have fun, guys." I finally move toward the stairs, seeing the way Zayn's eyes brighten as I do.