Chapter 28: One of Us is Lying.

Zayn's POV

We reenter the house, having had decided searching for another hour would prove pointless if we're all underrested and frustrated. It's the early hours of the morning, dawn's light breaking but doing little to ease our stress. 

Upstairs, Loki and I sit with Dayo, who's been resting for a few hours. She sits on a small blue armchair with a cup of tea, clearly still shaken up by the altercation

"What happened?" I manage to ask, I can barely hear my voice over the consistent pounding of my heart in my chest.

"A man and a woman came in, I've never seen them before. They took Cyra." She answers, eyes still darting around the room as if still searching for the couple.

I hear the splintering of yet another piece of furniture behind me in the hallway. Luna must have just finished kicking in the stairway bannister. The imprint is mixing our feelings, as I know the hot ball of rage searing in my chest isn't coming from me. Zoey is out there trying to calm her down, but clearly to no avail.

"Do you think it was witches?" Loki questions.

"How else would they get inside without being invited in?" Dayo points out.

"What do we do?" My worry is finally setting in, paralysing my limbs, I reach out to the wall to the right of me to stop myself toppling over "What are we going to do, they have Cyra, Loki, they have my daughter!"

"Fuck." Loki curses while my reality is starting to fall around me, the distress now residing in my frontal lobe, throbbing and aching.

The shattering of glass fills my ears, Luna must've found a window.

"I'm sorry, Dayo." I turn to her "Luna, she..."

She smiles weakly at me "You don't have to explain, I know the desperation of losing a child."

The mention of Evelyn is like a knife in my gut. The notion of Cyra being dead hadn't passed my mind until now. 

"If you think of anything else, let us know." Loki nods quickly, sighing as he opens the door to Dayo's bedroom, leading us out into the hallway where Zoey and Luna wait.

The cracked wood on the balcony, the broken glass and the large cuts over Luna's arms and fists have not purged the anger from her as her eyes begin to ignite a bright red colour when they catch onto Loki with his back pressed against the wall of the hallway behind him. I very quickly move to her side, but I think it only makes things worse.

"Where were you?" She seethes at him, I've never seen her so angry "Where the fuck where you?!"

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen, I really didn't." Loki's bottom lip is quivering, he looks like a scared child "I'll do everything I can to get her back."

"Answer the question!" She barks.

His wet eyes avert to Zoey quickly, so quickly that it could almost mean nothing, almost

"Really?" Luna picks up on it, of course she does "You were fucking Zoey while my daughter was being kidnapped?!"

"No," Loki shakes his head quickly "We were on a... a date."

"Oh that's rich," Luna laughs manically while I stand behind her like a lemon in a state of shock "You decided your fake fucking relationship was more important than the safety of your own niece."

"Luna, it's not like that," Zoey interjects but Luna shoots her a look that makes her recoil.

"I don't care about you wanting to get your dick wet, Loki, I really don't." Luna steps closer to him, fists forming balls at her side "This is your fucking fault. This would have never had happened if you were here."