Chapter 33: Donā

Start from the beginning

Her heart caught the sight of the back garden and she stopped and stared at the little pebbly pathway with its scrubs, and brown trees, giving a very Zen feeling. The whole house was wooden and all at once, Yue felt at home.

Come on Yue, it's just dinner

Come on Yue, it's just dinner. Get a grip, for crying out loud!

She dabbed some compact powder on her nose and reapplied her lipstick, before smiling at her reflection in the mirror. She could not remember the jittery feeling she felt when she first met Mama Wang at Jia Er's house.

But why is this time different? Is it because Wang He Di is important in her life? Important enough for her to spend the rest of her life with?

She shuddered at that sudden thought. Forever was such an overrated word. How many couples promised to be with each other forever but never quite made it? Well, at least her parents did. And his. Till death do they part.

She touched her sakura hair clip for assurance and cleared her throat before closing the door behind her.

When she stepped out, she recognized a familiar face. "Hua-ge!"

The man grinned and extended his hand to take hers. "Long time no see! You look good."

She smiled, touching her face. "I have been eating. Must have gained weight."

Marco laughed. "It's hard to gain weight with a Japanese diet. Yue, I think Didi is waiting for you at the little garden, between the living room and dining. My aunty is still resting. They will call us when dinner is ready."

He was turning on his heels towards the washroom, when suddenly he stopped and called her. "Oh Yue, I haven't seen Didi for awhile but this time, he seemed different." Yue looked at him questioningly as he grinned. "Different good. He's glowing. It must be you."

She immediately blushed and waved him off. Marco laughed, "See you later, Yue. Please go see Didi. He seems anxious about something."

The little garden was not hard to find at all as she passed by it awhile ago. She found Didi standing there, his hands in his pocket, shifting his feet. She stood and stared. How many times had he taken her breath away by just wearing blue? Even if it was a simple kimono top, pulled over a white shirt.

He must had sensed her presence as when he looked up, he immediately took a few strides towards her, pulling her in his arms. His hand caressed her hair.

"Hey, why so intense?" she asked, feeling his hug a little different tonight. Different good, she recalled Hua-ge's words.

He gazed into her eyes and smiled. "I was worried you got lost. Yi-jie told me you came when I was talking to Hua-ge. Are you hungry? Dinner will start in ten minutes."