Epilogue - Happily Ever After

Start from the beginning

"Because... mommy told me that you were a princess!" He was very innocent indeed, even more so, naive than Ariella, the brunette girl sleeping next to him.

Aurora smiled at the girl briefly before patting softly his head. "Aren't all girls princesses?"

He shook his little head; his bangs falling onto his hopeful eyes. Kenton brushed them aside for a moment, the brief visual contact was like a caress, warming her heart and soul. "No, auntie! A real princess... Like princess Claudia from the 'Prince and the Labyrinth' --you know, the one you read to us last week!"

The young adult was surprised for a moment, mentally cursing her best friend for having a big mouth and not keeping that secret buried away. Princess... The whole incident with the Dragon's gem popped up in her mind. It happened so long ago that she'd merely forgot to this day. She'd renounce the title for a simpler life in the country alongside the love of her life, and she had no regrets whatsoever. 

She let out a breath which she didn't know she was holding onto until it escaped her lips. Then, with a heart reassured that she took the right decision, the smiling adult bent down and kissed the child on the forehead. "You're the only prince I'll ever need in my life."

Kenton's smile broadened, including the dimple; "From now on I'll eat all my vegetables so I can grow up tall and strong and handsome, that way I can marry you myself and make you the happiest princess in the whole world!" he suppressed a giggle with his small hand. 

She smiled as she uttered his pet name, "Oh ken, you silly," and pinched his rosy cheek. "I love you, shorty."

His giggle turned into a mild laugh; joyous, he held onto his cheek and returned, "I love you too, auntie Rory!"

"Now, go to sleep." She said softly, then turned away, making the floor creak, "Goodnight, my little prince." and, whispered. Her fingers found the door handle and quietly closed the door behind her. Stepping down the stairs, she quickly reached the main hall of the house. 

Within a few minutes of gathering the children's toys scattered around the house, her stomach grumbled loudly. She tried to ignore it at first, but it kept twisting and grumbling for a midnight snack.

Decided to go grab a bite on something, she finished the task at hand and left. She didn't have to go too far since the main divisions were all connected. The kitchen was directly off the dining room, which was simplistic, set out for single use. 

The woman placed the bread, gem, and juice on the table. Then, reached out for the stall above her head and drew a cup of glass from the top shelf. As she was closing it, in recognition of her partner's low, even voice, she jumped like a startled rabbit, almost dropping the glass."Siegfried H. Gedonelune-- Randolph! You scared the life out of me!" She cried out, her heart racing. With a hand pressed to her chest, she took in a deep breath.

"Sorry, sunshine. Didn't mean to." He promptly apologized, "Are the kids asleep already?"

Aurora smiled up at him warmly, "Yes and, although It took me a great effort, I was able to put them to sleep." she rolled her eyes and faced him, "I swear on the First King, it's getting harder and harder-- Those little fleas... Babysitting them is getting more and more demanding, each time they get to visit! I don't know what their parents give them for breakfast, but they are quite energetic! It doesn't matter if it's morning or nighttime."

Randolph chortled at Aurora's sudden outbreak; his hand reached for her wrist, his fingers slowly descending and entwining with hers."Think of it as training... when we get our own." and without the slightest warning, he pulled her close to him, burying his face on the crook of her neck and taking in her scent. Strong arms embraced her and she let herself melt in them, returning the hug.