Chapter 2

As we arrived at the university of Florida there is a brick entrance. This campus is huge! I look all over the campus grounds and see kids hugging their families goodbye. I look at my mom who looks at me giving me a reassuring smile. When we get out we go to the front to get my package and to let me know what dorm I'm in. D-22. The package had wrote on it.
I grab my suitcase as my mom gets my few books and we go inside looking for the letter D. After about ten minutes we finally locate my room.
"Are you ready Natalie?" My mom says
I pushed away my nerves hoping that I would have a decent roommate. I open the door and see half of the other wall is covered in grey and black posters, some kind of awful music playing, with a girl who has blue highlights in her hair starring at me. I walk to my side putting my suitcase on the bed.
"You must be my new roomy." She said her voice soft and sweet
As I look at her I see a few tattoos on her arms with her noise pierced.
"Uh yeah..I'm Natalie." I said with my nerves showing
She smiles at me. "I'm Layla a sophomore your a freshman right?
I shook my head yes and looked at my mom who's looking at me and this girl wide eyed. "Oh this is my mom by the way."
Layla looks at my mom shaking her hand. "Nice to meet you."
My mom shakes Layla's hand then turns to me walking out of the room. I look at Layla apologetic then turning around going after my mom. Once I finally caught up to my mom almost outside of the building I stop her from walking out.
"Mom what is wrong? She seemed nice and smart." I asked her clearly irritated
"Oh Natalie you naïve little child. You clearly didn't see how she has her side of the room decorated or how her clothes showed way to much skin. You can tell she a party girl nice or not I'm going to go right down to the office to get your room changed!"
I took arm deep breath and calmly said "mom the clothes she wears doesn't mean anything for goodness sakes mom look at my clothes! Every college person goes to a party and I will not change rooms! Just because she may be like that doesn't mean I will!"
My mom signs looking down. "I know I just wants what's best for you. You are only eighteen Natalie."
I hugged my mom and walked her out to her car. I love my mother to death, but she has been so overprotective since my dad left. Listening to my mom for the 50th time about no boys, be safe, and focus on my school work. I hugged her for the last time as she got in the car and turned it on. I stood there as she pulled away waving goodbye. I am now a full time college student who has freedom.