Chapter 4

Just as the knock had sounded, I heard the door open. 

"Midnight?" James' voice called out.

Why did he come back?

"I forgot to tell you a few things about how tasks and duties are run around here." His footsteps grew closer. 

I looked at Phil with panicked eyes and slowly got off his lap. Why do I feel guilty? Phil's hand was still resting on my waist when the drapes were pulled apart, revealing a dumbfounded James. 

"Why... are you still here?" He fumbled staring intensely at Phil.

"I-" Phil began to say but was immediately interrupted by an outburst from James.

"I knew it! You squalid human!" 

Squalid? That's such an odd term.

I remained seated, processing the way James yelled, I thought he was a calm person. But to call Phil a squalid human, made emotions that I couldn't quite name rage inside of me. 

James reached for Phil with his fangs elongated.

What was with people attacking Phil?

I reacted as fast as I could. Shoving Phil out of the way and tackling James to the ground, making sure to grab his hands. 

"Do not move." I enunciated each word, hoping to calm the surprising rage in James.

His breathing was heavy, I could feel his chest rising and falling as I adjusted the position of my hands. I'm grateful that my father taught me basic self-defence. Slowly but surely his gold-flecked eyes returned to their original blue.

"I'm sorry, I'm fine. You can get off me now." He stammered in embarrassment.

I quickly got off him and started to explain why we were behind the drapes. 

James got off the ground and scratched the back of his head, "Well isn't this awkward. Sorry, Phil."

"Uh no problem, I'm used to it remember?" Phil spoke back.

What do you mean you're used to it? Just what goes on around here.

"Well boys, I'm tired. Thank you for escorting me to my new room and being hospitable. I'll see you tomorrow." I said as I pushed them out the door. I glanced around the large oak frame, locating the small silver lock, I gave it a firm turn and let the sound of the bolt echo through the spacious room.

I scratched the side of my neck and felt something scrape off. I looked at my nails and saw a dark substance. Odd. I found the bathroom and had a look at my neck. Against my pale neck was dried and flakey blood. 

Don't tell me I've had this the entire time! How embarrassing. Why didn't anyone tell me?

I grabbed the closest towel and dampened it with a bit of warm water. As I scrubbed at the bloodstain, I looked about the fancy decor in the bathroom. The sink was made from black and white marble with intricate gold details running throughout. The space in the cabinets was astounding, who knew that there was so much room available in a storage unit. Glancing around I noticed that the majority of the bathroom had a similar theme of black, white and gold being followed, it was an odd contrast against the old fashioned decor of the bedroom.

 I spotted a bathtub hiding on the other end of the bathroom. I let out a squeal of excitement and rushed over to it. I turned the tap on and let the bath fill. I rummaged through a cabinet that had various bottles of bath soaps. Without thinking twice I poured the liquid from two bottles in. Blues and purples began to mix with the swirling water, forming bubbles that flew up as I entered.