Chapter 19

It was roughly 2 hours in when James and I finished the fiction section, we started to pick up random books and place them in their allocated sections. James stayed as far as possible from me which I could understand, but that left me alone with my thoughts.

I killed my real mother. That flashed through my mind repeatedly but when I gave it more thought, it occurred to me that she and my father willingly did this. They knew the consequences of their actions and I couldn't have possibly known that if I survived the pregnancy, she'd die.

But what about my father? Did the council really execute him? What if he was still alive, would he have looked for me?

I shook my head clearing that trail of thought.

It's been 17 years, if he was alive he would have looked. I tried to convince myself into believing that, but the possibility of him being alive and not looking for me left a nagging feeling in my heart.

There was also the fact that I didn't know which parent was human, and which was the vampire. What if my mother was the vampire? Did she have relatives that knew of her pregnancy?

Would the council have left my father alive if he was a human and didn't know that my mother was a vampire?

A million thoughts were in my head, I was confused. The people I thought were my parents weren't my real parents. They never even told me I was adopted, was I adopted though?

That thought lingered, maybe they were brainwashed into caring for me... I snorted, yeah right.

I saw James give me a questioning look, I shrugged and looked the other way.

...die at the age of 16...

I froze.

On my 16th birthday, my 'mother' had broken down into tears and wouldn't stop crying. She claimed it was because I was growing up and she wanted me to stay a little girl. But the very next day she was the world's most energetic and happiest person known to man.

The entire situation back then seemed fishy with what I know now.

Maybe she did know...

I have to ask her, I was bursting with questions. I was prepared to zoom out of the library and go back home.

Except for the fact that I don't even know where to begin finding the exit to leave the castle. The last time I left was purely coincidental because I remembered to just take the elevator down and go straight. This time I was deeper in the castle and there were so many hallways I was definitely going to get lost.

I sighed and looked towards James, I doubt he'd let me leave.

Phil would know the way out, he's practically been here an entire year.

I froze again. What if someone saw me? It was just nearing 7 O'clock, people would still be out and about. And considering what a small town I live in, they would undoubtedly recognize me.

"Midnight, are you feeling alright?"

I turned around to see that James had stopped what he was doing, and was looking over at me curiously.

"Never been better, why?"

"You're acting jittery and you seem to tense and relax every few minutes. I'm beginning to think you need another intake of blood." He muttered the last part to himself but I heard it loud and clear.

I put the book I was holding on the shelf and crossed my arms over my chest.

"I don't need another intake of blood, thank you very much. I'm just thinking through some stuff and you don't need to worry about me, just do what you volunteered to do and as you said yourself, keep your distance." I huffed turning around and started picking books up a lot faster than before.

I didn't want to see the hurt look in his eyes when I snapped at him.

It was a while later when we all finished putting the books back to where they belonged. I asked for the time and I heard Rene reply stating that it's 8:33. I glanced around making sure there weren't any more books, satisfied I began to walk towards Phil.

I didn't take any more than three steps when a hand clamped down on my arm and spun me around. Just as quick as that hand appeared it left.

I forced myself to look into James' eyes and grimaced when I saw his sparkling blue eyes flooded with pain.

"Night I am so so sorry," he croaked out. "I can explain why I acted that way, but I will still keep my distance until that witch is stopped."

My heart clenched hearing his voice, but I wasn't going to assume things until I knew his entire story. I gave a small nod.

"It was 198 years ago, I was 19 when I got turned into a vampire," I did the math real quick, that makes James 217 years old. "What happened back then was something I never forgot. It was the 21st of December, the day of the winter solstice in 1821. The weather was bad, families decided to stay in their homes with fireplaces blazing.

"I stayed with my betrothed that day. We were huddled closely together when we heard screams and glass breaking outside. I told Meredith to stay where she was and to lock the door. I went out and was frozen to the spot, the scene in front of me was terrifying." James' eyes glazed over as he continued his story.

"I had never seen anything like it, the freshly fallen snow was covered in blood. Multiple bodies littering the ground, pieces of glass catching the light and embedding themselves in the skin of those already dead. My eyes were darting back and forth watching beasts tear into throats of running women and children, draining them until their eyes became lifeless.

"I didn't know what to do, I was still standing glued to the spot. They were getting closer, clearing houses out and killing whoever was inside, or that's what I had thought at the time. I knocked on the door and told Meredith it was me, she let me in and I quickly shut the door. There wasn't much time, I had already witnessed them breaking doors down. They were moving lightning quick. I told her to go to the back room and hide.

"I ran to the kitchen and found a knife, I wasn't sure how much damage I would be able to do, but I took my chances. I waited behind a little corner and it wasn't long until the front door splintered and fell open. I held my breath and waited clutching the knife to my chest. I heard voices muttering to each other, then another spoke loudly asking where we were.

"The footsteps got closer and I lashed out with the knife, I managed to create a large gash across one of their stomachs and stab another in the chest. They looked at me with shock before one of them growled and grabbed me. He hoisted me up and threw me to the floor.

"'I smell someone else in the house, where are they.' I was so confused when he spoke, how could he smell that there was someone else here? I denied it saying it was just me, the other guy I had stabbed had disappeared, I didn't know where to until I heard Meredith's screams."

~~~~~
I will post a new chapter if:
- y'all can get this chapter 10-15 votes
- 5-10 comments on what you think of the story so far :)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT I LOVE ALL OF YOU