Chapter 15

I felt hurt, why would James flinch looking at me?

"James are you okay?" 

I was so hesitant in asking, wondering if I had done something wrong.

"I will be once we figure out what happened just now." 

He slowly began to sit up as he spoke, I saw him clench his jaw in effort.

"Let me help." I got up from my seated position and started walking over to him, I was stopped mid-step by the look in his eyes.

"No." His voice was determined, fierce. He never used that tone with me, why was he doing it now? 

I felt tears beginning to build.

"What did I do?" I demanded, I needed an answer before I lost control of my emotions.

"It's not about what you did. It's about what I was forced to experience in that messed up dream or nightmare of yours." He was staggering as he took cautious steps towards the door.

The nightmare? So he was actually in it, which means it happened and the pain we both felt was real.

"So it was real? Everything that happened in that moment was real?" I was dumbfounded I needed to hear a confirmation from him.

He turned around sighing before he spoke. "Night, what I heard in my head was absolutely awful. It was the sounds of things I never wanted to hear again. Things that still haunt me to this day even when I do my best to forget." He took a shaky breath before continuing. "Turns out the witch that is trying to hurt you can hurt whoever is touching you when you are asleep, if I had known that was even close to possible." He sighed again shaking his head. "I don't want to hurt you Midnight, but unless we stop that witch I'd rather not touch or be in too close of proximity to you."

The tears that had already built up were threatening to spill over. A lump in my throat formed and I couldn't speak, I just nodded my head to let him know that I understood.

"I'll go ahead and find Marcus to sort out a plan of action. I suggest finding Darius first." He gave me a pointed look as he said that. I dropped my head feeling shamed but unsure why.

James walked out closing the door gently behind him. The moment he was out of sight, the tears came. It wasn't long before I became a blubbering mess. 

Why? why? why? It was a constant thought that was haunting me. I was becoming hysterical.

I felt my body light up with the same energy that I had unknowingly used in that nightmare. It crackled around me blending in with the light that was slowly filtering in through the window. 

However, that was not something that needed my utmost attention at the moment.

It was the increasing tremors running throughout my body. I looked at my shaking hands through bleary eyes. At some point, I had folded in on myself and just shook with energy that was beginning to increase.

In some distant part of my mind, I noted that I heard my door open briefly then some fast-paced footsteps heading my way. I attempted to look up but only saw a blurred figure approaching; I couldn't make out who it was, and quite frankly I didn't care.

Even though I had attempted to ignore whoever had come in, I knew without a doubt that I should acknowledge them even for a brief moment. I tried focusing on them and noticed they had picked me up slightly to cradle me, I never noticed from the amount I was shaking. 

"Shhh, it's okay... calm down." 

The voice was vaguely familiar but rang no bells as of yet. 

I just sat there shaking letting them hold me. The crackling energy had begun to fade, ceasing to exist. 

I looked up again and saw the pained eyes of Phil. It broke his heart to see me like this, and I couldn't understand why; I hurt him just last night and here he was trying to calm me down. 

"Phil, why are you trying to help me?" He didn't say anything he just debated something in his head for a minute, eventually, he picked me up bridal style and laid me on my bed tucking me under the covers. 

"You need some rest right now, okay? Take it easy, I'll be back in a while to make sure you're alright." 

The thought of even considering to sleep made me panic again; I felt the energy crackle. 

Phil looked around in alarm trying to figure out what was setting me off. 

"I don't want to sleep, please. Please don't make me rest I need to do something, anything to keep me from sleeping, please." 

He looked deep in thought again as something occurred to him.

"Remember I told you I'd take you to the library? Do you want to go there to get your mind off things?" 

The energy had disappeared again, and for that I was grateful. I don't know what would happen if I accidentally set it off again. The memories of the nightmare were enough to make me need to keep it at bay.

"Yeah, I'm positive all I need to get my mind off things is to read some of those books," and find that restricted section. 

I shared a small smile with Phil.

"Would you wait here for me, please?" 

Phil hesitated a moment before nodding his head yes. 

I quickly scrambled out from under the covers and made a beeline for the bathroom. I glanced in the mirror long enough to note that I had deep purple fingerprints along my collarbone from where I was dragged. 

I sighed in dismay deciding to ignore it knowing that my body would heal itself. 

By the time I was done with my shower and ready to go, the bruises were nowhere in sight. I put my hair up in a ponytail and walked out to see that Phil had indeed waited for me.

"That's a first." He said, looking at my face in admiration.

"What is?" I looked down at my self insecurely trying to figure out what he was looking at. 

"Your hair, I've never seen it in a ponytail."

I laughed loving that it was such a minor detail yet he had noticed, and that was something that touched my heart. Deeply.