Chapter 27

"Are you sure we should leave the two of them alone down there? They'll wreak havoc in your living room." Phil said looking amused as we heard another scream.

"They'll be fine, and Marcus wouldn't actually hurt Rene," I said taking a seat in the middle of the floor.

Phil looked at me funny.

"What?"

"Why are you on the floor?" He said giving me a dubious expression.

"The floor is comfy," I said giving a light shrug and lying down on my back.

I saw Phil shake his head in the corner of my vision before he came to lie beside me.

We stared at the ceiling for a while before Phil spoke up.

"I wanted to do this a little better, but the market had a limited amount of supplies and half of them were closed."

I rolled over to face him.

"Do what?"

"This."

I watch him lean over to me and I instinctively closed my eyes, his lips gently brushed across mine and I felt something slip into the palm of my hand.

He pulled back and let me sit up to look at what he had very carefully given to me.

I looked down curiously and found a small card with my name written cursively on the front.

I sat up crossing my legs and flipped the card open to reveal a beautiful silver bracelet with an 'M & P' engraved on a small silver heart surrounded by plaits.

I gave an involuntary awe and leapt up from my seated position to hug Phil tightly.

He hugged me back and leaned down a little to whisper in my ear.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

I squealed in excitement and tackled him in kisses.

"Yes," I mumbled against his mouth.

I felt him smile against my lips, "I wouldn't have accepted a different answer."

I laughed out loud and playfully swatted his chest.

"How did you manage to find this in the shops? Almost everything is closed."

I tilted my head up to look at him when he finished clasping the bracelet to my left wrist.

"I didn't find it, I got it made before we came to town. The original plan was to collect it and bring it back to the castle because I'm allowed to leave with supervision. 

"Chances have it, however, that you needed to come to town as well. I was so scared they weren't going to be open and then I found the card. I was going to give it to you the moment I got back, but you were sleeping so I had to wait, but I'm glad I had to wait, it gave me a chance to calm my nerves."

My heart fluttered, he was nervous. 

That's so cute!

We were still tightly embraced when a knock sounded at the door.

We quickly pulled apart just in time for Rene to walk in, I was blushing a furious red and Phil had a slight pink tint on his cheeks.

She looked at us suspiciously but didn't comment on it.

"I'm heading out to check something near the barrier, there's been some type of presence lingering near it for some time now. Just wanted to let you know so that you didn't think Marcus killed me and buried my body somewhere."

Marcus passed Rene muttering about killing her as he walked down the corridor, sporting a very large clown nose that he couldn't get off.

Rene fell to the floor in laughter as Phil and I looked at each other before laughing ourselves.

It was quite a sight to see.

With chiselled features and dark brooding brown eyes, with a very large, very red, clown nose stood Marcus who was demanding that Rene take it off.

Marcus turned to face me.

"I had to live 15 years with this since this brat started learning her magic skills. Those two years where she couldn't do anything were bliss."

I laughed even harder imagining a tiny Rene casting spells on a two-century-year-old vampire.

There were tears in my eyes, I stopped laughing as I remembered that Rene said she was heading out.

"Hey Rene, I don't think going out to check on something that can't get in is a good idea. It's dark out."

She looked at me pointedly.

"I'm a witch Night, and my magic doesn't last forever, I've got to head out and recast areas that feel weak. That presence has been there for the last two hours and it's been nagging at me to take a look."

"At least let someone go with you." I insisted.

She gave a loud exhalation of dismay and snapped her fingers. 

The clown nose disappeared from Marcus' face and he gave a relieved sigh.

"You're coming with me mister scary vampire." Rene said, "You can carry me around faster!" She yelled before jumping onto his back.

Marcus looked towards Phil and me with a lost expression before they were gone in a flash. 

Phil and I busted out laughing again, the two of them looked like a koala climbing a tree.

Their closeness was really sweet, I always wished that I had siblings or close cousins to grow up with. 

My mood instantly turned sombre at the thought, I couldn't have siblings cause I technically caused the death of my real parents. I wonder why the mom and dad didn't have children.

I shrugged the thought of as I took a seat near the window looking outside.

Phil seemed to see my change of mood and came to stand behind me, gently rubbing my shoulders. I leaned into his touch and savoured the moment.

I saw something flash in the distance almost like an explosion.

What the...

The sound came after, it was loud and it resonated across the town.

I saw lights slowly start flickering as people woke and tried to figure out what happened.

Phil had stopped rubbing my shoulders and we both looked outside trying to see what was going on.

Another flash blinded us and I heard a shout following it.

I covered my eyes as I took a step back from the window, yellow dots floating in my vision. I opened my eyes only to quickly cover them again as glass sprayed all around me. 

I smelt blood, some of Phil's and some of mine.

I heard a thud and whirled around to see a body dressed in black hovering over Phil who was unconscious. 

"Phil!"

The person turned around and my throat closed up in fear as Phil lay motionless at his feet.

He smirked at me, "I told you I'd find you."