Chapter 13

'Her beauty is beyond compare, with flaming locks of auburn hair, with ivory skin and eyes of emerald green. Her smile is like a breath of spring; her skin is soft like summer rain.'  

My heart missed a beat, and my breath caught in my throat.

I had just heard his thoughts when it suddenly got cut off. 

I looked James in the eyes and saw he was shielding his mind, and a fine sweat had broken on the side of his face. 

Did it really take that much effort to keep me out? 

I pushed harder and broke through again.

I felt faint, but that's okay.

James seemed to have realised that I was back in his mind, and he started to think of really random things. 

All his thoughts were suddenly jumbled and I found some of it hilarious, but I wasn't prepared for the sudden onslaught of thoughts, which caused me to take a step back to grip onto one of my bed posts. 

Marcus stepped forward, so I did the one thing I could think of through the mental pain. 

I switched my focus to Marcus and entered his mind. 

I'm assuming he didn't like that very much. 

"Midnight, stop." 

I'm not sure who said it, but I was barreled to the ground by James who was breathing heavily.

I smelt blood, and it was coming directly from above me. 

I felt the hot familiar substance fall onto my cheek and slowly make its way down to my chin. 

I tried to move my hands but James had me pinned down, his eyes animal like and I could see him fighting for control as his eyes flashed blue and gold. 

Blood was dripping from his nose and it smelled absolutely heavenly. I knew it wasn't right, I knew I shouldn't do it, but my control was slowly slipping as I watched his flashing eyes and smelt the sweetness of his blood.

My fangs were already out as I lashed at James' throat. I broke through his skin and tasted what I desired. Gulp after gulp I savoured it, I felt his power in each mouthful.

I heard a loud clang from the far right corner of my room where the door was. I was too caught up in what I was doing to realise that I had James pinned until I was pulled off him. 

I assumed it was Marcus, which was a huge mistake on my part.

I pushed the person away from me and heard their body crash against the drawer. I slowly turned around to face the person who stopped me.

I couldn't breathe.

I was in absolute shock when I saw who I had thrown. 

I ran to Phillip who was breathing unevenly, "Phil I'm so sorry, oh my god. Phil?" 

The feeling of anguish was consuming me. He was terrified of me being near him. I took a couple of steps back to give him some space.

Phil tried to stand but collapsed back down with a sharp cry of pain, he continued to breathe heavily which was causing me to panic at how badly I may have injured him. 

I was suddenly next to Phil picking him up. Something came over me as I did this. I could suddenly see where he was hurt in my mind and instinctively I touched his lower back and felt heat pulsating from my hand. 

I moved away once I knew he was steady on his feet.

I saw Phil look up at me and weakly smile but I could still see the fear in his eyes. 

"I never meant to hurt you," I took a step towards him and realised that there was absolutely no point since he took a step back, "Please Phil." I heard my own voice crack when I said his name. 

"No Midnight... I'm sorry." He turned to walk away.

Why was he apologising? I was the one that hurt him, I should be grovelling at his feet begging for forgiveness. He was the only human here that I could trust and I just shattered whatever I had managed to build up with him. 

I watched him walk away and slowly felt pressure building at the back of my eyes. I need to get out of here.

Just as I was leaving I felt the familiar arms of James wrap around me. 

"Night, wait." That's all he had to say, that's all it took for me to cry for the second time tonight.

At some point, Marcus had left and James and I ended up on the floor with me sobbing against his chest. I couldn't stop the onslaught of tears as they kept coming and my chest was rising and falling rapidly.

First I had taken James' blood and then thrown Phil across my room. Am I really that bad at controlling myself? Is it my personality that's making me bad or is it this stupid vampire urge. 

The thought of drinking someone's blood makes me sick and I did it to James without giving it a second thought, and why on earth didn't I think before slinging Phil?

I feel like such an awful person.

"Midnight?" James' voice was nothing but a whisper, but I still heard it through my sobs. Why wasn't he mad at me as well? Why is he sitting here holding me as I cry?

I managed to reply in between sobs, "Y-yeah?"

"Why are you so distraught over hurting Phillip?" He was still using hushed tones trying not to upset me further. I couldn't answer him, I didn't know why I was this upset either which only caused me to sob more. 

"Night, don't tell Marcus about this." 

"Don't tell him what?" My voice was shaking and each vowel was a struggle to say through my tight throat.

"He doesn't know I have this ability." 

I felt James shift slightly and place his hand on my forehead. The heat was steadily coming through his hand. I felt my eyelids begin to droop and my heartbeat slow down. I was beginning to feel sleepy and the last thing I felt before going to sleep, was James' grip on me tighten around my waist.

After that was just the blissful emptiness of sleep. 

Or so I thought...

~~~~~

Don't forget to vote, leave a comment and let me know what you think!

If you like the story please let a friend know or share it! I'd appreciate that greatly :)