Chapter 7

Midnight

Tall, dark and sexy. Black hair, black eyes, impeccably dressed in a black suit. Who is this? 

I look over to his right a little and see James standing there with a shocked expression. 

Then it comes back to me. James taking my blood, the crash, the fear and then total darkness. 

So how am I standing here? I look back at tall, dark and sexy, just to see him smiling at me. Not smirking, not a devious smile, not anything. 

Just a smile.

I swear my knees weakened when I heard him speak. A deep sexy Spanish accent. 

"Midnight, you are fine sí? The way he rolled his r. Cue the dreamy sigh.

But all I could do in return was nod like a freaking bobblehead. 

"I must leaveth now, I desire to see thee very soon." He turned around, starting to leave. I took a step forward, trying to catch him before he left. 

James finally went out of his shock and moved in front of me.

"James, who was that?"

"Darius." 

Even his name sent shivers down my spine. 

"Wait! Wherefore must thee leaveth?" 

Darius froze, starting to turn back to me, excruciatingly slow. 

"Thee knoweth how to speaketh old English? In this century, I bethought I would beest the only one." 

His accent accentuating each word. I realized soon enough that he was trying to speak modern English.

I didn't know how I knew how to speak old English, but I continued anyway, making it much easier for him. 

My voice only a whisper now. "What art thee?" 

He smiled.

"Werewolf." 

Then he was gone. Not even a few seconds later I heard a voice in my head.

Soon, very soon querida. I wilt see thee again.

I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Night, would you care to explain?" 

"Not reall-" 

I was cut off when I started to feel a little funny. My body just started to hum and lightly shake. What was happening? My vision doubled and went back into focus. The scenery went from dark shadows to the present over and over. 

Then, it changed. 

The next thing I knew is that I was looking through somebody else's eyes. I could feel her emotions coursing through me, her fear. And standing in front of her was nothing other than a vampire. 

A vampire with orange eyes. I remembered what I learned from Phil, orange eyes meant weak.

I watched in silent horror as the vampire lunged at her or rather me, then ripped into her neck. Blood, pain and fear all going away as my vision blurred. Then there was darkness.

I was back in my own body, crumbled on the ground in a panting heap. James was leaning over me trying to figure out what happened. It was still daylight, the vision was dark which meant it was during the night. That girl is going to die tonight. 

"Forget about going to Marcus, we have to save a girl from dying from a vampire attack. Tonight." 

"Midnight will you slow down, how do you know this?" 

I looked up, pinks and blues were starting to flit through the sky. I tried to remember what I saw through the girl's eyes, other than the vampire. 

Bricks, lots of bricks that created a narrow strip. It was an alley. There were a few burlap sacks on the floor. Garbage bins at the back and litter just scattered across the ground. 

I've seen this place before, but where? I started to pace. 

"How far am I from my hometown?" 

"You're in it." 

I whirled around to look at James. "What do you mean?" 

James shuffled his feet a little. 

"OK, I don't want to sound all magical over it, but we had a few witches from Circle Twilight put up a barrier surrounding the woods, that is where we are. Half-vampires, full vampires, and other supernaturals can see this place. 

"But if you're human, all you will see is the forest and you wouldn't wonder in, you'll somehow be turned back around towards the town. If you're a supernatural and you know about this place, you would know when you've entered it, but seeing as how that vampire left you at the bottom of that cliff, he didn't know he was in royal territory."

I thought for a few minutes on what my plan should be. That was when I came up with the perfect one. 

"James, take me to my hometown, I promise I will stay out of sight, I just need to do this, please." He released a heavy sigh knowing that I wasn't going to give up anytime soon. 

"Fine, when do you want to leave?"

"Now." 

James asked me to follow him, and soon we were running at top speed in random patterns. I wasn't going all out in my running because I knew that I would accidentally outrun James, and I kind of needed him to show me the way.

I notice James starting to slow down a bit. I could smell blood, lots of it. But none of it had been spilt, it was inside all the humans I could see from the height I was at. Slightly tempting, but no thanks. 

I slowly looked around trying to spot the familiar area where I saw the girl being murdered. 

There it was.

It was located on the path where I used to go to school, that's why it was so familiar, I passed it every day for the past 10 years. Just as I was about to go, James wrapped his hand around mine. I turned around to give him a questioning look. 

"Please don't get hurt, Night." I nodded and then I was off. 

I ran past everyone on the streets as fast as I could, they couldn't see me that was for sure. But I knew that they could feel a sudden wind when I passed. 

I hid in the shadows of the alley and looked up, the sky was just starting to turn black. 

The smell of perfume and makeup wafted into my nose, getting closer and closer. 

It's time. 

I moved quickly and managed to tackle the girl to the ground, barely missing the hand of the vampire as he lunged. The girl was knocked unconscious but I really couldn't care at the moment. 

I turned around and came face to face with gleaming orange eyes.