Chapter 10

I fell against my bed too tired to even test out the flying, although it was fun, I was tired.

As soon as we had come back to the castle the vampire was put in an underground cellar, James went and talked to Phil, and then he went to Marcus. 

I listened in on their conversation, and James was just telling Marcus about what happened today. Marcus kept interrupting and gasping every now and again. It was a tad bit annoying.

Marcus also mentioned doing some research with old books in the restricted area of the library.

Maybe tomorrow, I'm going to go and find out where that library is and do my share of research, even if I don't know what they're looking for... I was too tired to think right now. Slowly I started to drift off...

I don't know how long I was asleep for, but I heard a few quiet knocks on my door. I got up feeling lazy, yes even as a vampire, I was pretty lazy.

Before I opened the door, I made sure to sense their presence carefully. Realising that it was only Phillip, I opened the door and hugged him. 

"Hey Midnight, what's up?"

"I feel lazy," I replied while stretching out the z. I let go and stretched my back; I heard a few pops which made me feel a little more down to earth.

"So Phil, what brings you to my humble abode?" I smiled cheekily.

He looked slightly uncomfortable for a moment before he said that he was here to give me some blood. 

"I heard from Jeremy that you hadn't taken his blood this morning so you must be parched, and James said you were injured today, twice."

"No Phil, I'm quite alright, no throbbing fangs, scratchy throats or weird urges to bite someone."

"But Night... it's been a whole day, you do need the blood, you might not notice it yourself because you're new to being a vampire so I..." Phil slowly trailed off his sentence.

"Seriously Phillip, I don't need it. Even the mention of drinking blood makes me sick. I can handle seeing and hearing another vampire drink but for me, it's just weird."

"It's alright, makes my life easier." He smiled like a kid that got candy. That would be a bad comparison because he's smiling because I didn't take his blood, but the comparison I made was him getting candy. 

OK, I got this, he smiled like he just found the love of his life. Better, but I could use a little more work on my comparisons.

He sat down on the edge of my bed and warmly smiled. I had no idea what to do. Despite being asked out multiple times, and being hit on, I found this situation more than uncomfortable. 

"So..." I trailed off my sentence not knowing what to say. That's when I realised that I wanted to ask about the library.

"Hey, Phil?"

"Yeah Night?"

"Where's the library?"

"Why?" He started to look suspicious, and I wanted to know if he knew anything about the restricted library.

"I just love to read, and it's getting quite boring around here." Those two facts were true, but I also wanted to find the restricted area.

"I'll take you there tomorrow if you want?" I nodded my head in excitement.

This way of life was fun and exciting, but I was starting to feel nostalgic. Is my family looking for me? Do they think I'm dead? Has there been a search for me? It's almost been 48 hours.

I didn't realize that while I was spacing out, I started staring at Phil. Talk about making an awkward situation worse.

"Phil, will I ever get to see my family again?" Phil cringed just a little. 

"I've heard of vampires going back to their families before, but their need for the daily intake of blood made them kill their family. Although seeing as you don't need blood right now, and aren't in any form of pain, I guess you need blood every two days, or so, but that's impossible you should be desperately craving blood right now because of the lack of oxygen."

"So how long do I have to be away from my family until you guys can determine how long it takes for me to snap?"

"I'm not exactly sure, the last vampire who attempted to hold out ended up killing a lot of humans."

"I'll stay for a week. Then I'm going to see my family; I know I can't stay there because of the uncertainty of the situation and what might happen, but I just need them to know that I'm OK."

"Night, I'm a blood donor; you have to tell Marcus that and see if he agrees or not." I hissed in response.

"Fuck Marcus, he has done nothing but question me since I got here. He was nice at first but now all he does is sit around while others do his job, he enjoys himself and then fucking questions people, I'm done with his shit."

Phil pursed his lips together rather than saying anything, and I'm glad that he didn't because if he said anything to defend Marcus while I was livid, it would have been a pretty bad mistake. But even with that thought, I knew I wouldn't hurt Phil.

"I understand that Night, but you still have to tell him at least."

"No." I was stubborn, to say the least, and I got that from my mother. My heart clenched at the thought of probably never seeing her again.

"Phil, I'm going to go to bed if you don't mind. Have a good night." I smiled at him, he stood up and out of habit I kissed him on the cheek and gave him a hug. He turned bright red and said goodnight while quickly leaving. Oops.

This place seemed quite old fashioned, not that I had a problem, but when I looked around for paper and something to write with, I ended up with a quill, parchment paper, and ink.

I had a bit of trouble but in the end I managed to write a note addressed to my mother and father, with only a few black blotchy spots leaking down the page.

All I was going to do was go to my house without being seen and drop it off.

The note said,

'To my dearest Mother and Father, who are probably worried sick about me. I'm alright, and I'm so sorry for leaving you both so soon, something came up, and I had to go away for a while. No, I'm not being threatened, I left on my accord. I dropped this note off in the night time, so I'm sorry I couldn't properly say goodbye because I wouldn't have been able to let go.'

A couple of tears stained the bottom of the paper dragging the ink further, but at least it was still readable. I made sure to put my signature at the bottom, so they knew it was real. A few more tears dropped from my closed eyelids while I tried to calm my erratic breathing.

When I was calm enough, I took off.