Chapter 20

"She was dragged by the hair to where I was, she had tears streaming down her cheeks and she was absolutely terrified. I pulled her behind me and told them to let her leave and kill me instead. They just laughed in mockery and so fast I couldn't even stop them, they grabbed her from me.

"She shrieked when one of them hoisted her dress up. The other grabbed me when I protested and tried getting to her. Piercing screams filled my ears as I watched helplessly. He raped her right in front of me, when he was done with Meredith she was so quiet and just lay there with tears cascading down the sides of her face.

"I was absolutely shattered, and to throw the cherry on top, the one who raped her looked directly at me and snapped her neck. I was so broken I was yelling and screaming, I didn't know what they were, who they were but when I woke up I was one of them. I tried to end my life on several occasions when I couldn't deal with the loss, everyone I had ever known was ruthlessly killed or turned, and the one I was going to marry was raped and murdered in front of my eyes.

"I was furious, I found them 50 years later and made sure that none of them saw the light of day again. I still hear Meredith's screams, taunting me because of how helpless I was to stop them. I met Marcus shortly after I disposed of those killers.

"I made it my purpose in life to stop the vampires that were psychotic with power, to stop them and others who hurt innocent humans for the sake of it. And then I met a flash of blue sprawled on moss at the bottom of a cliff, and you Midnight, made my life worth something again." James finished with glossy eyes.

I was all choked up, the girl James loved so much was sexually assaulted and killed in front of him and he watched everyone he knew die.

That moment in my nightmare, James' worst memories were played on repeat through his head as he heard Meredith's screams. 

I tackled James in a hug, he flinched when I made contact with him but he didn't push me away. I felt his arms slowly wrap around me as he accepted my hug.

I didn't cry, I needed to be strong for James right now. His eyes were watering and he was choking back sobs.

I felt awful, I couldn't be mad at him or upset if he needs to keep his distance in fear of going through that again. I pulled back and looked into his sad blue eyes. 

"I am so sorry James, I never meant for you to go through any of that again. Until you feel safe and comfortable I will keep my distance to make it easier for you and I am most definitely not going to get upset over something neither of us can control. You are one of the friends I have made here that I can not afford to hurt or lose."  I smiled sadly at him and turned away.

Since the night in my room where my head exploded with pain, I refused to read minds, so with no knowledge of what James was thinking I turned and left.

I find Rene and Phil near the entrance of the library. I head over and Rene gives me a hug. 

"Thanks for helping with the cleanup."

"I love going to libraries and it was my fault that it was such a mess so it wasn't a big deal," I replied shrugging. "I might be here often, I really like reading."

"I'll be here a lot too, I'm the librarian so I'm used to a lot of stuff happening down here, and it's nice to see another girl around here for once." She laughs and shoots a playful glare at James who's leaving.

"Rene you volunteered to be the librarian," James says sticking his tongue out pretending nothing happened a few minutes ago and leaves.

We all laugh at his retreating back. I take a look at Phil who looks absolutely worn out.

"What's the time guys?" 

Rene looks at the watch on her wrist. "It's 9:24pm, we should all get some sleep. I'll see you around Midnight." She must have seen the funny look on my face because she continues. "Phil told me your name."

"Oh." Was my genius reply. 

She chuckled and left the same way James did. 

"I'll walk you to your room." Phil offered and held his hand out.

I grabbed his outstretched hand and we walked back to my room through the winding hallways. When we reached my doorway Phil put his hand on my cheek and kissed me goodnight. 

He left with a smile while I grinned and happily bounded into my room. I lost my smile when I realized that I did not want to sleep. 

I had nothing to do, at this rate I was going to fall asleep with boredom. I busied myself by drawing with the ink and quill, doing cartwheels and anything that came to mind. I was tired but I refused to go to sleep. 

I don't know how long it had been but I stopped bouncing off the walls and just lay flat on the ground and stared at the ceiling.

I knew no matter what, I would still call the woman who took care of me, my mom. Despite the circumstances and everything that's happened, she is my mother. And my dear father who taught me to ride a bike and fight back against bullies. I will endlessly appreciate everything they've done for me.

I need to talk to them, as soon as possible. I need to fill the gap in my heart that got created when I read that passage from the book. 

I needed a plan that would get me out of the castle, and back in time before Marcus got suspicious. 

So as I stared at my ceiling I constructed a plan.

I couldn't ask James for help, I will hold my promise and keep the distance until he's comfortable. Phil would know the way out and I just need to convince him to help me.

When it's morning I'll find Phil and tell him about what I read in the book, and explain that was why I broke down in the library. I'll ask him to get me out of this place without drawing any attention and give me some cover if someone notices my absence. I'll be back before noon, hopefully with answers to my questions and that gaping hole filled.

But the other part seemed much more difficult.

How do I avoid being seen by people in town? What do I do if I get seen? James had mentioned erasing minds, but he said it wasn't that easy and never told me how to.

No doubt an APB was sent out to ensure I was found. They sent an APB when others went missing.

Oh shit.

The other people that went missing, were they killed by vampires? That was the most likely answer. I could have easily been one of those people.

I yawned, I'm so tired...

I jerked upwards my eyes snapping open at the same time. I pinched myself a few times to wake up. It was still dark out.

How long did I fall asleep for? 

I glance around.

And how did I end up in the forest?