Chapter 24

Marcus finally caved and said I could go, but I'd need to wait.

2 hours.

That's how long he made me wait.

He had to handle a few things before-hand and inform James of the situation and what we've all managed to figure out together, and then Marcus proceeded to tell him that we were heading out.

We were making our way through the damp forest, with mud squeaking in our shoes, and raindrops falling from leaves. The wind was strong and pushing branches every which way, howling around strong tree trunks and the sounds of piercing shrieks from animals filled my ears, I heard the distant howl from a lone wolf. 

Each of us had a bag filled with water and food that added to my weight which made my feet sink ankle deep into the mud, it was a struggle pulling my foot out and the slight sucking sound it made was awkward.

So my little trio and I; Marcus, Rene and Phil, are currently making our way through a very wet forest towards the town. James was left in charge at the castle seeing as he didn't want to come along which was understandable. 

I looked at my watch and was happy to find that we were making good time. 

After continuously asking people for the time, I requested for a watch that they gave quite happily when they were getting annoyed at me for asking them the same question on repeat like a broken record player.  

So strapped to my wrist was a black baby-G that I absolutely adored, it was the same one I had when I was 15. 

It occurred to me half-way through our wonderful muddy trek, that we could've taken a car. When I asked about it, Rene said she couldn't put a cover spell on a moving vehicle.

The plan was to get to the town and Rene would cast a cover spell on Marcus and me, while she went around casting a safety spell to prevent vampires and other supernaturals other than ourselves from entering my street. 

Phil came along cause he wanted to buy a few things from the markets, I wasn't sure what would be open in this weather but he said he'd still go.

Marcus and Rene had been walking slightly in front of Phil and me, and I filled him in on the no humans and vampire rule. He was most definitely not happy about it, but we still held hands and walked through the forest.

At one point when Rene and Marcus disappeared from sight, Phil pulled me behind a thick tree and asked if he could kiss me. I found that absolutely endearing because he always let it be my choice, and asked for permission. Something that I thought no one would do anymore.

By the time we made it close to the edge of the forest line, it was 2:34 pm.  

Rene made us wait for a few minutes as she cast the spells that would keep us hidden from the townspeople.

I felt a little strange when she was done, it was like my body was surrounded by a cold mist that was travelling up and down my veins. It was a nice feeling and I welcomed it, it soothed the burning emotions I had that made my thinking less than rational.

Phil began to head off to the market, but before he left he gave me a discreet kiss on my forehead. I smiled and waved him bye, knowing that we were going to be here for quite a while.

The rain had let up and it was just softly falling as the storm subsided, Marcus and I talked about what I was going to ask as we made our way through the winding streets. 

Rene disappeared casting spells in any given direction, by the looks of it she was enjoying her task as silvery white mists left her fingertips.

Marcus and I stopped in front of my house and I took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

There were heavy footsteps on the other side that paused for a moment, and I heard the person take a deep breath before swinging open the door.

I came face to face with my father who was looking around in confusion.

"Damn it, Rene, she always does half the job," Marcus muttered in annoyance.

My father whipped his head to look at the spot where he heard Marcus' voice, he still couldn't see us, I saw Marcus close his eyes and all of a sudden I heard footsteps sprinting down the end of my street.

I turn around and see Rene coming at us full speed, waving her arms frantically and yelling sorry at the top of her lungs.

My dad was staring at the crazy running girl who was coming towards my house and was about to close the door when in panic she yelled, "visibilis."

She skidded to a stop next to Marcus and I who had suddenly become visible to my dad.

"What, when, but, how?" My dad was stuttering trying to form a coherent sentence when he cleared his throat.

"Midnight?"

I smiled at my dad and wrapped my arms around him as he gave me a bone-crushing hug.

"Oh bug, we were so worried about you." He said swinging me around. 

He gave me the nickname bug when I was a wee tot, I for some odd reason loved collecting bugs and bringing it to him, so he started calling me bug and or honey from the time I grabbed a honeycomb with my bare hands.

The nickname brought back so many memories, I wasn't even gone for a week but hearing it made my eyes well up with tears that were threatening to spill past my lashes.

"I'm sorry I had to go." I clutched the front of my dad's shirt and cried.

Marcus was shifting his weight from one foot to the other as he stood there uncomfortably. Rene was whistling to herself.

Remembering where I was I wiped my eyes and stepped back and gestured at my dad and Rene.

"Dad this is my friend Rene, Rene this is my dad."

Rene bent her head in greeting and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

My dad turned to Marcus and I introduced them the same way I did with Rene.

"Dad this is Marcus, Marcus this is my dad."

Marcus and my father shook hands, but before Marcus let go, my dad tightened his grip and leaned forward a little bit. 

What he said next had my heart doing loops on a roller-coaster.

"I know who you are."