Chapter 2

Phillip

Our personalities clicked immediately, maybe we'll be friends. It'll be nice to have someone else to talk to other than James.

She seemed different. She was kind, polite, and beautiful no doubt, but there was something else I couldn't quite pinpoint.

When she asked to drink from my wrist I obliged, thinking that it was first-time jitters. But, when her fangs came out, her eyes swirled an unusual colour. I couldn't control the gasp that escaped my lips. I've never seen this colour before, never when fangs came out nor when the vampires used their powers. I should notify Marcus or James of this.

The only colours that were around for vampires as far as I was told were gold, red, black and orange. 

Gold indicated that the vampire was powerful, and the only ones I'd seen with gold were James and Marcus. Red was for the next in line royals and aristocrats that I'd seen walking around the palace talking and scheming. Black was for the second class vampires, meaning that they were once human and got turned which is what Midnight's eye colour should have been, and lastly orange, which was for incredibly weak vampires, didn't matter if they were born a vampire or turned into one.

When Midnight bit into my wrist, I braced myself to feel the pain that came from all their bites. But instead, I felt a warmth travelling up my wrist towards my arm. Almost like tendrils of pleasure that spread out into my body. I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. What am I thinking?

She moved back and retracted her fangs. I looked at my wrist. The bite was healing. I could still feel the spot where her mouth had made contact. Awkwardly clearing my throat I looked up at Midnight who appeared as though she was pondering something. She's easy to read.

"Thank you, Phil. I have one question though." 

"Okay, shoot." 

I waited for Midnight to ask her question, she kept her head down and was looking at her hands.

"Why do vampires have to drink blood?" 

Wow, Midnight really was a little different. Not only did she recently find out that she a vampire, shes awfully calm about it and wants to know details. Most of them don't give two shits and just leave after drinking. 

"Vampires have to drink blood for survival, obviously. But that's because your cells are different, it doesn't carry oxygen like humans. So when you drink human blood, the oxygen in their blood transfers to your body. But only for a day, so you have to drink daily to keep that oxygen in." 

Midnight's mouth opened in surprise. 

"I have to drink blood every day?" 

She looked slightly revolted, but I was sure she would get over it soon, they all did.

"Yeah, I guess you do. Oh, look at the time. James is waiting for you, right? Marcus probably wants to question you on what you remember." 

She nodded her head in reply and didn't say anything. 

I escorted Midnight back to the main grounds where we saw James crouching by the wilting roses. 

"James!" I called out, "It took Midnight a little bit to get the gist of it, but she's fed so you can take her to Marcus now." 

James smiled at me in thanks then motioned at Midnight to follow him.

Midnight

After Phil left, James turned to me and asked me to follow him again. He kept glancing back at me every few seconds. What does he want?

Finally, he spoke, "So how did it go?"

"It went fine, Phil was really kind and good at answering questions."

"And exactly what were those questions?" He asked me jokingly, but I could hear it in his tone that he actually wanted to know.

"All I really asked was why we have to drink blood."

"Oh, so why did you ask that?" 

Now I could feel his curiosity get the best of him.

"I was just wondering why because every book, every fable and everything listed about vampires is different from the next."

He nodded his head in understanding and we silently made our way through the grounds. 

We finally made it to a door that was almost four times larger than me. On the other side of the door, I could hear multiple different voices. 

I felt James' eyes on me. 

"I like you, you know. I barely even know you but you're different from the other vampires. So I warn you, be careful around Marcus." 

Is Marcus dangerous?

He opened the door. The voices that I had heard abruptly stopped. 

Red eyes turned to look at James and I enter. 

I discreetly attempted to move to the side a little so that half my body was covered by James. My movement was clearly noticed by everyone.

Marcus stood up and motioned for me to come and sit. I went and sat on the opposite side of everybody while James took a seat next to one of the red-eyed ladies that was awfully close to Marcus.

When the slight commotion calmed, the questioning began. It was more or less the same things asked repetitively. I waited calmly until the majority had it out of their systems. 

"My name is Midnight, I'm eighteen years old. I just turned eighteen yesterday on the third. I was celebrating my birthday when I felt ill all of a sudden, so I took to rest. I woke at midnight when I smelt something. I followed the smell and was shocked to see one of my friends having her blood sucked out of her by a guy, well I know now that he was a vampire. He said he wanted to keep me around because I smelt part vampire. That's pretty much all I remember, cause the next thing I recall is running from James." I laughed softly at the end and smiled at James.

Then, there was an uproar. "Half-vampire!" Was the most common thing I heard being said throughout the room.

"Silence!" Marcus yelled out loud. 

Everyone quieted down instantly and Marcus turned his attention towards me.

"Midnight, he mentioned that you were a half-vampire?"

"Yes."

"Are one of your parent's vampires?" Marcus continued to question me.

"I'm a hundred percent positive that both of them are thoroughly human." Ugh, my head hurts.

"Interesting. Do you remember what the vampire looked like?"

"It was too dark for me to see." 

Marcus nodded his head, but there was something starting to bother me. My head was aching and gradually getting worse.

Fastest transformation yet.

It seemed like there were thoughts entering my head, more and more.  I put my hands up to my head, trying to ignore the pain.

My ability doesn't seem to work on her, I can't get a read on her mind.

What's wrong with her?

They all seemed to be coming from Marcus. My mind felt as though it was going to explode.

Why is she holding her head?

James came beside me asking me what was wrong. I felt his warm hands on my shoulders, but the thoughts got stronger, and they were becoming more coherent.

Through teary eyes, I looked up at Marcus. 

"Why can I hear your thoughts?"

___________

Authors Note:

I'm currently re-editing the chapters and making the storyline and some info more coherent so that it's better to read.