Chapter 17

It was like molten lava coursing through my veins as his soft lips moved gently across mine. I shifted never breaking the kiss until I was straddling him. My hands ran through his hair, tickling my palms as they glided under it.

Phil's hand had made its way from my neck to my waist where he was delicately making small circles with his thumbs, tingles made their way up from that spot as it encased me in absolute and utter content.

I lost track of time but it couldn't have been long, we broke apart and rested our foreheads together. I was still straddling Phil and his hands remained around my waist.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that for." Phil's voice was still husky and it did things to my stomach that had never been done before. He was still making little circles on the sides of my waist when I gave him a quick peck on the lips and slid of off him.

We lay together on the bean bags just listening to each other breathe, I rolled over and put my hand on his chest, tracing imaginary lines.

"You were my first kiss," I mumbled quietly.

"What?" Phil twisted towards me slightly, his arm keeping his head propped up.

"You were my first kiss," I said a little bit louder but continued with the mumbling.

"I can't hear you properly." He smiled mischievously, his grey eyes sparkling as I felt my face heat up in embarrassment. I ducked my head into his chest and said it again. Phil chuckled as he wrapped his hands around me and enveloped me in a hug. I brought my face up and he showered my face with feather-like kisses. I giggled as he did this, he stopped and looked me in the eyes.

"Am I actually your first kiss?"

"Well, if you don't count the time when I was in second grade and a slobbery kid covered in mud put his saliva dribbling mouth on mine during recess than yes, you Phil are my first kiss." His face lit up as he held me close to him.

Right here in Phil's arm, everything felt right.

We lay there for hours, just talking about the most random things. I loved it, everything was perfect.

Phil had begun to slowly drift off to sleep and I felt his steady heartbeat beat through my back. The fear of sleeping caused me to carefully slip out from under his arms and make my way to the restricted section again.

Afraid of what might happen if I touched the books, I gingerly reached out and grazed my fingers over the first book.

A pulsating energy shot through me at the speed of light, it knocked me back and I slammed into a nearby ladder. The abundantly loud noise woke Phil up instantly, he looked at me heaped upon the ground and broke into a fit of laughter.

"You touched the restricted books didn't you?" He managed to get out through bouts of laughter.

I grumbled standing up in annoyance and dusted myself off.

"It has witch magic that was called in by favour, I'm assuming you know about the spell cast over the castle and most things surrounding it?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Well, it's similar magic to the books, it grants access to the King only. But," He smiled showing his teeth. "I found my way around the magic and read a couple."

"No way! Tell me please, please, please." I was pulling on his shirt like a little kid.

"I will but first, you tell me why you want access to those books." I debated it really quick in my head and realized that I could trust Phil with knowing.

"I overheard Marcus and James talking about me and what an odd vampire I am, so they said they'll go to the restricted section and look through the books. I felt that I had the right to know as well considering it's me they're talking about."

"Fair enough," He walked over to the books and used one of his long sleeves to cover his hand as he picked up the book, "The trick is to not make skin contact with the book."

Are. You. Serious. I got knocked back by an invisible wall and that's all I had to do to prevent it.

I stood on my toes to gain some height and thanked Phil with a kiss on his cheek and used the bottom end of my shirt to cover my hand to grab the book from him. I heard Phil's heart rate pick up a little from the kiss but chose to ignore it for now.

I skimmed through the book using my nails to turn the pages. Nothing stood out or brought my attention anywhere. I placed the book back and grabbed another one that was solely based on the existence of vampires. I skimmed through the list of contents noting that it was a large book and that I wouldn't have time to go through the entire thing.

A particular title stopped me from skimming the list, 'Rare Vampires.' That specific area made me flip to page 303 and start reading.

Rare Vampires, a certain type of vampire that begins its life as a half-vampire undoubtedly unaware of who they really are. Rare Vampires are so unheard of and unimaginable, that they are particularly scarce.

A half-vampire comes around under the following conditions: one human parent, and one vampire parent. The half vampire's chances of surviving the whole pregnancy are slim to none, but in the events that the fetus survives, the parents will not. The real parents of the child are never known to them because the mother dies of the unnatural birth, and the father is executed by the council.

'A love worth dying for' - Edgar Morris, status: executed.

The likeliness of coming across one in any lifetime is 0.1% The cause of this being the inability to survive the constant fight between the vampiric cells and the human cells. Common signs of seeing a half vampire include fatigue, inability to feel cold, unattainable beauty, the smell of their blood and frequent twitches. Although not many of these may actually show in symptoms of being a half vampire and you must be dangerouslyse close to be able to identify the smell of their blood. This, however, is not what makes a Rare Vampire so important. It is the fact that a half-vampire will die at the age of 16 if they do not get turned in time. If they somehow manage to live past this point in life and make it till the next birthday, vampire senses start to awaken but are still not fully developed like a true vampire.

If a half-vampire is turned into a full vampire at the point where they have reached their 17th birthday, unexplainable events will start to occur, this was predicted by the oracles many years ago but has yet to be proven. That is what makes them a Rare Vampire.

If the half-vampire is turned before they turn 16, nothing would occur, they would simply live as a regular vampire with black eyes (Human turned into a vampire.) At the 17th birthday, if they get turned, the Rare Vampire would have stark silver eyes and powers no one could imagine. They have the power to wipe out large cities on their own if brought into the wrong hands, or they could do a world of good.

After the 17th birthday, two days in, the half-vampire will die of their body shutting down, if not turned. The timings and knowledge of knowing where the half-vampire is located are vital to being able to create a Rare Vampire.

Thus the reason they are so rare, you never know where they are, they don't know who they are and the chances are so slim, it's impossible.