Chapter 11

Tears continued to stream down my face as I remembered the path that James had shown me. I stopped just at the forest line, gazing out at the sleeping town. 

A few cars rode past me and left a strong gust of wind blowing across my face. 

I blended in with the shadows and finally, I left the safety and started walking forward. So slow that a snail could've outpaced me. 

I walked past the silent streets and up through the shortcuts and routes that I had all learned as a kid. I had grown up here, and they're saying I can't go back, just because I got forcibly turned into a vampire. 

I felt more tears slide down the side of my cheek; I felt the tear slowly slide into the crease of my mouth and drip down my chin.

I saw the door of my house appear in my line of vision. 

This house, the one I left... the room where I can never go back. I was almost a blubbering mess until I remembered the reason I was here; I wanted my parents to know that I was alright.

I always knew that I didn't quite fit in. And it turns out that I was right. I've always been a half-vampire, no wonder I never got cold, and that I hated the heat, and why others were scared of me and the way I seemed to behave.

I glanced up at my home, which will only be known to me as a house. I looked at the brass and copper doorknob, should I enter through the front? Or through the open window just above? It was the dead of night, no one would see me. But what if my mother was crying lying awake in bed and saw me?

I glanced behind myself when I heard the silent whistle of a car speeding past. I ignored it hoping they hadn't seen me; I was standing under a lamppost, I'm surprised they didn't even stop the car. I heard words being slurred just to my right. 

I swivelled around and saw a drunkard heading straight towards me. I stood still, hoping that while he was in his drunk state he wouldn't notice me. But instead of even seeing me, he walked right through me.

Well, that's nice, being walked in and out of. It left a slight chill through my body until I realised that that was incredibly weird. I yelled out to the person gaining his attention. He turned around in surprise; he kept glancing around as if trying to find somebody. So that means he can't see me, and that he can walk through me, but he can definitely hear me.

I looked back at the house and put my hand on the door. My hand went through the door. I stepped closer until my arm was through the entire thing. I kept walking and then, I was in my living room.

I saw piles of flyers on the coffee table. I picked one up and saw that it had my face on it, with my name, age, along with my parent's contact details.

I heard silent sobbing coming from upstairs. 

I followed the sound and peered into my bedroom; my mother was on the floor holding a picture of me. Her voice was hoarse as though she had been crying longer than it seemed. It broke my heart to see her there, a crumbled mess on the floor, but I had to leave her and go to her bedroom. 

My father lay in bed just staring at nothing. I felt for the note in my pocket wondering how I could place it in the room without him noticing. It was almost impossible; the floorboards would creak if I stepped in, and if I attempted to fly I would most likely crash and make myself more visible, and if a letter appeared out of nowhere, he would have some serious questions.

I backed out slowly and walked back to my room; my room had been the only one where the floorboards didn't grate. I walked in and moved behind my mother. The window I had seen outside was the window of my bedroom. 

Could this work? Maybe, no scratch that, it will definitely work.

I climbed out of the window remembering the one time I attempted to sneak out, which was a pretty dumb idea of course, but there was a small ledge where I could step onto and not fall.

I stood on the ledge and grabbed the letter from my pocket. The wind was quite strong tonight, but I needed the right gust of the wind that would send the note flying into my room. The correct gust of wind to let the letter fly right to my mother.

I felt the wind suddenly spike up against my back, and I knew that this was the right one. 

I let go of the note and watched it twirl and flutter until it finally landed just next to my mother. My mum jumped just a little when she heard the whisper of paper, but other than that, she was fine. 

I watched her read it and suddenly run to the window. Which of course undoubtedly scared me, causing me to lose my footing and fall backwards. I didn't scream, I didn't have time for that, I was way too terrified of my mother hearing me. I landed with a dull thud just barely missing the hoses sharp bit and falling into the hedge. 

Cliché much.

I saw my mother sharply look down and watched more tears well up in her eyes. Then I heard her silent whisper.

"Midnight... I hope you're right."

My mother had always been a bit theatrical, so I almost giggled at her wording choice.

And yes mother, I know you can't see me and you don't know where I am, but to answer your question, yes I do know that I am right.