Chapter 6

Not an ordinary vampire? What on earth was that supposed to mean? 

Through the entire car ride, I was seething. 

James just said that I'm not an ordinary vampire, and then started to drive. He could have at least explained what he meant. My stomach was still hurting a little, but not as much as it had before, the dull ache throbbing just a little when I breathed.

About half an hour passed, and James still hadn't said a word. Just when I was about to say something, James spoke up. 

"Do you feel light headed?" 

Strange question, but I replied anyway. 

"No." 

He seemed to ponder over his words for a while, "What about a slight aching in your fangs?" 

I focused on my fangs for a bit, but there was no feeling. 

"Nope, no aching."

"What about a lack of oxygen?" 

What's with all the questions? Sure I wanted him to say something, but why questions? 

"No, I feel fine. Why?"

James reached behind the car seat without taking his eyes off the road. He pulled something red out of the back compartment. 

A bag of blood. 

"James?" I thought carefully before finishing my sentence. "What would you do if you were pulled over, and they found a bag of blood?" I knew it was a stupid question, but I figured the reason he kept a bag of blood was so that if he gets hungry, a bag of blood there you are ready to go!

"I just erase their memory, trust me, it is not as easy as it sounds." 

I watched fascinated when I saw his blue eyes suddenly mix with gold, he became even more handsome as his face transformed. His lips became fuller, and his fangs lightly teased his lower lip. I saw his fangs come down onto the bag, sharp and precise like a cat's canines. The smell of blood wafted through the car, but it didn't faze me like the first time. Half the bag was drained when he stopped, out of impulse I reached over and poked one of his fangs. I guess it hurt because he hissed at me, causing him to bite the tip of my index finger. 

Ow...

I pulled my hand back and watched as the blood swelled on the tip of my finger. I glanced up waiting for James to say something, but I saw him transfixed with the blood on my finger.

Everything happened in slow motion after that.

The car continued to move at a fast pace, but I had unexpectedly been pulled onto James' lap. My hair to the side and my necked tilted, then my blood being drained, I could slowly feel it, and the sound of his swallow, with his satisfied moan. 

The strangest sense of Déjà vu just happened, and I realized why. This is exactly what happened to me before I turned into a vampire. My body became weaker, and I couldn't stop him.

I was spinning, or was the car spinning? I was limp and could only sense what was happening, my vision blurring. But the car had crashed and James and I were going out of control. But he didn't stop. And neither did the car.

Glass was shattered everywhere, James was panicking. I could smell the fuel from the car starting to leak. I felt a light slap on my cheek but did nothing. My name was shouted over and over again. James had somehow managed to pull us out of the car, and all I could feel was the blistering heat that came from the exploded car.

I felt something fall against my cheek, I saw the teary red eyes of James. But he didn't notice the huge black wolf standing behind him. 

"Midnight, I need you to swallow this, please! I'm so sorry." He repeated over and over.

Another slap against my cheek. Something warm dripped near my mouth, the next drop landed right on my tongue. His blood.

I had enough strength to lift my head, I latched onto his wrist, I didn't have much of his blood, about 2 swallows. But it was enough for me to say, "Behind you..." My voice was weak but still, he heard me, and then came the joy of utter darkness with no pain and no sound.

James

Her blood smelled so sweet, so red and full of life. I didn't realize it this morning when she was covered in her own blood. Each mouthful was ecstasy. The car hit something, but I couldn't stop. 

When I did, I saw the pale face of the girl who made my life interesting again. Her body was limp, glass shards surrounding us, some embedded in her skin.

I kicked the door, it never opened, I kicked harder and harder each time and finally, it caved in and opened, I had just gotten Midnight out when the car had burst into flames.

I felt my eyes starting to water, I lightly slapped her cheek, hoping she was still conscious, I said her name over and over again, but she never responded.

I saw my tear land on her cheek, I couldn't lose another person. I just couldn't. Not after that...

The bags of blood I had in my car had been destroyed, and my last option was my blood. I bit my wrist and hovered it over her mouth, the first drop missing. When the second one landed in her mouth, I saw her eyes turn silver and her fangs elongate. She bit my wrist, and all I felt was pleasure, no pain came from her bite. But it didn't last long, because her head slumped back down, and her words were so soft I almost missed it.

"Behind you..."

I knew she was going to be OK now that she had some blood. But I couldn't shake off the feeling that she could still die, even vampires can die from blood loss, we need oxygen. My blood had some, but not enough... 

I turned around and saw a huge black wolf standing behind me. In my trauma, I missed its scent. 

We had an alliance with the wolves that lived in the area, whatever you read, it's not true. We don't kill each other when we see the other kind, they have as much right to live on this planet as we do. But it was a black wolf, and I didn't want to take any chances since it looks similar to the one Night had described to me.

I widened my stance in front of an unconscious Midnight. The wolf noticed and went behind the tree line, it emerged later fully clothed. He acknowledged me with a nod of his head. 

"James." 

He started to walk around me but I stopped him.

"Darius, what are you doing here?" Darius was an ancient wolf, but in human years he could pass off as a teenager or in his early 20's. We had an alliance with him since he was the Alpha, for as long as I could remember he's been the only one in that position.

"James, thee knoweth I do not reveal myself in unnecessary situations, but seeing as Midnight is hurt because of thee, the least I can do his help." Someone ought to get this guy a modern English teacher.

"You know Midnight?" I was waiting for a yes but instead, I was met with, "Not exactly." 

The voice had come from behind me. I spun around on my heel and watched as he rested his hand on her chest, I heard Midnight's sharp intake of breath and out of nowhere, she was up and standing, staring off into space.