Chapter 21

I slowly stood up hearing some popping sounds. I leaned over to the side to stretch my back, hearing a few more pops. 

It was so dark I could barely make out any shapes, but I definitely knew I was in the forest; the smell of mud and grass was overwhelmingly strong.

I brushed off a few twigs that I felt against my arm and back. 

I must have been laying down awkwardly because my left leg was numb, and the sensation of blood flowing back in hurt. I hopped around a little bit then stomped my foot, hoping to speed up the blood flow. 

An owl hooted in the distance making me jump. 

How do I get out of here? 

I don't recognize the area and I have no idea how I ended up here in the first place.

I recall trying to not fall asleep, and laying down on the floor. I only shut my eyes for a few minutes and suddenly I'm in a forest.

Damn that witch, what'd I ever do to her?

I sighed and started to walk straight, hopefully in the right direction. 

A huge gust of wind blew from behind, rustling leaves and making my hair hit me in the face.

Have you ever had that strong feeling of regret? I do right now because my hair is whipping across my face and I didn't even leave my hair-tie on my wrist.

I stopped walking and squeezed my eyes shut. This is ridiculous, what do these people gain by torturing me? 

I opened my eyes and came face to face with glowing orbs. 

Letting out a small scream I stepped backwards and tripped on a tree root that came out of nowhere. I tumbled to the ground and whipped my head around looking for the figure. 

Did I imagine that?

My heart was racing, I needed to get out of this place fast.

Something about the forest was starting to seem familiar, but not in a good way.

Feelings of dread wound themselves tightly around me.

I started moving faster, I heard a thump behind me and I broke out in a full-blown sprint. I realized why the forest was starting to look familiar, and it was not good.

The first nightmare that I had, I was being chased by a wolf in the dead of night in the forest, and it almost killed me.

Was it a premonition or the witch making it real? It didn't matter, I just needed to run.

The thumping sound behind me increased it's speed, keeping the same pace I was. 

Someone help, please.

I kept running, dodging things that were illuminated by the moon.

The thumping disappeared and I thought I was safe, but that feeling left within a second.

I was knocked to the ground, the momentum carrying us a bit further. I stopped right in front of a rock. 

The same rock from the nightmare.

I thrashed around trying to get the wolf off me. I felt the wolf beginning to dig its claws into my back. 

I flinched and started screaming when it broke through my skin. The feeling was much worse than the nightmare, and I was trapped. Not a single person was here to help.

I continued to scream, my voice becoming hoarse. 

The large body of the wolf keeping my writhing body as still as possible.

The wolf bit into the back of my neck and I coughed out blood. I was making gurgling sounds, my vision blurred. I was hysterical, I had felt the crackling energy for a while, but I couldn't use it to stop what was happening. The energy crackled and I could feel my body heating up but it wasn't doing anything.

A voice rung through the air, as clear as day. 

"Et relinquam ex quo semel factum est, nigra lupus." 

The wolf that was on me vanished into thin air, I was choking on my own blood and I couldn't move.

I faintly heard running footsteps and a worried voice asking me something. I couldn't reply, I didn't want to be awake, I closed my eyes and I faded into the blissful state of being unconscious. 

~~~~~

I was on something soft, heat enveloping my body. 

It felt nice.

I tried rolling over but a hand stopped me and the heat vanished.

"You need to stay still right now, okay?" 

I turned my head a little and saw Rene, she was in deep concentration and the heat returned.

"What are you doing?" I croaked out, my throat was so dry I needed water.

"I'm healing you, that wolf did quite a lot of damage. You should have seen everyone's reaction when I brought you in." 

Memories from last night flooded my head.

"How long have I been out for?" 

"Not long, it's been a couple of hours and I'm almost done. The damage to your back was severe, we had to give you a blood drip to sustain oxygen."

"How'd you find me?"

"I'm with Circle Twilight, the circle that put the barrier around the place years ago. I felt a disturbance that wasn't quite right, I barely felt it, I'm 17 so I'm surprised I even detected something wrong. I rushed over as quick as I could after informing Marcus that something wasn't right. You were close to death when I found you."

"I sure as hell felt like I was dying." 

Rene let out a laugh and told me that I could try sitting up now. 

I gingerly sat up and saw that my clothes were in tatters. Dried blood was in my hair and it felt disgusting. I frowned when I saw my legs were tied.

"Why am I tied to the bed?" 

"Healing magic reverses the damage, you had to relive the pain and you woke up a few times thrashing, making your injuries worse. I was forced to tie you down and give you a strong sedative." Rene answered nonchalantly as she undid the knots.

I ran a hand through my hair forgetting that there was dried blood clumps in it. I cringed in disgust and Rene laughed again. 

She waved her hand in front of me and said a few words.

My clothes were fixed and all the blood was gone.

"Thanks."

"Not a problem, that's what friends do for each other." She smiled at me warmly and I smiled back. I missed Violet but it was nice to have another friend around this place.

I wonder how Violet was doing. Was she worried that I was gone?

I looked at a little clock on the side of the bed,

6:11 am. 

"Where did that wolf go when you said those words?"

"I don't have a clue, I told it to go back to where it came from."

I rubbed the sides of my head, that wolf would come back, and that witch would help.

"Rene, do you know any witches with glowing eyes?" 

She thought for a while and opened her mouth to speak when the door slammed open and a voice boomed in.