Chapter 22

"WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN THE FOREST AT THE DEAD OF NIGHT?" Marcus bellowed.

I saw Rene wince and mutter 'Oh dear.'

I looked at Rene with wide eyes and mumbled, "I think that sedative is working," and proceeded to pass out. 

"Why is she unconscious?" He spoke quieter to Rene.

"I gave her a sedative to numb the pain."

Thank you, thank you, thank you for playing along. 

I heard Marcus sigh, "call me when she wakes up." 

I heard the door close and then it was quiet for a bit.

"He's gone, you can get up now."

I laughed and hugged Rene, thanking her for covering for me.

The door slammed open and Marcus came into view.

"I knew you faked that." He growled out.

Rene and I stopped laughing and looked at each other, shit. 

"What is wrong with you? You're the most infuriating person I have ever met, and that's something considering I've been alive for 319 years!"

Marcus was ignoring Rene completely and all his anger was directed at me.

"I can say the same to you! You were so nice to me when I arrived here, you helped me overcome my fear of you guys, and now you inspire my inner serial killer!"

"I liked you before you became such a problem! You started reading my mind, and I hated that. You embarrassed me right in front of the nobles on several occasions. You're not normal and I can't figure out why! Then you go around and show attitude every time we speak. I have my fair share of reasons to dislike you, Midnight."

I ducked my head and stayed quiet, I knew that I was a problem.

"I'm sorry."

Marcus sighed in frustration and ran a hand through his hair. He looked so tired.

I never noticed it before, but Marcus was young, couldn't be much older than I was. His messy black hair was swept to the right; laying gently across his forehead and sticking up at the top as he ran his fingers through it. He had a strong jaw that was clenched together, his light brown eyes looking at the ground.

He was so different from James who had pale blue eyes and light brown hair. The things they had in common was that both their features were incredibly sharp and attractive, and their 6"1 height brought my 5"8 height to their noses. They had a lot going for them. 

Marcus sighed again.

"Just tell me what you were doing in the woods, please." 

If he hadn't figured it out, I should do the right thing and tell him everything I know. He'd be able to help me, he's the king after all.

"I wasn't there on purpose, I was trying to not fall asleep but I did and I woke up there. Also, I know why I'm not normal."

"Would you care to tell me?" 

Marcus had taken a seat on one of the stools near the wall, he wasn't yelling he was asking politely. It reminded me of the first time we met.

"I read one of the restricted books, it was a larger book with lots of pages. One of the sections was paged on 'Rare Vampires.' That book would sum everything up if you read it."

"How did you get access to a restricted book anyway?"

I shrugged not wanting to get Phil in trouble.