Chapter 25

Marcus' eyes widened in surprise as he took a subconscious step back. Although Marcus was surprised, to say the least, he did keep his manners.

"What do you mean, sir?"

My father crossed his arms over his chest and tapped his foot.

"If you're going to date my daughter at least have the courtesy to inform us you're taking her somewhere."

Marcus started to violently cough while I turned a bright red. Rene was doing her best to not laugh but was failing miserably. 

"Dad, that's not-" 

I was cut off as my dad raised one hand to silence me.

"I'm just messing with you bug, come inside. You and this vampire have some explaining to do."

At hearing the word vampire Marcus started to cough again. 

I raised an eyebrow at my dad in confusion but followed him inside anyway. I glanced back to see Rene patting Marcus' back while smiling smugly in my direction.

I gave her a weird look and motioned for both of them to come in, I avoided looking into Marcus' eyes while doing so.

This was so embarrassing.

We all took a seat in the living room, Rene and I took a seat on the Lawson-style sofa, while Marcus took the farthest seat from my dad on the love-seat and my dad sat opposite to him on his single seat couch.

The arrangement made it so that Rene and I were in the middle of my dad and Marcus.

I heard a shuffle near the kitchen and saw my mother walk out holding a tray with an assortment of cookies and tea.

She didn't seem that surprised to see Marcus who suddenly straightened up and stared at her. 

She saw me and her eyes lit up, she rushed over and placed the tray on the black coffee table and tackled me in a hug.

"You did the right thing leaving that note sweetheart, I figured out what had happened right after."

I took a glance at Marcus who scowled at me hearing that I left a note. 

He mumbled, "I knew you did something with the ink." Knowing full well that I would hear him.

"But how did you know about Marcus being here, or the fact that we were coming?"

This was not what I expected when I came here. My mother gave a short laugh that sounded like tinkling bells. "Ask Rene, sweetie, she seems to know."

How would Rene know my mother? 

And how does my mother know Rene?

I turned around to face Rene who was sitting there with her mouth gaping open. "Ahana, High Priestess of Circle Twilight. Witch of prophetic dreams and premonition." Rene didn't say it to me, she said it to my mum with wide eyes as if the statement had been drilled into her mind from birth. 

"You're quite right dear." My mother said affectionately and gave Rene a hug.

I could not believe anything I was hearing, my mother was a witch? What does that make my dad?

As if she knew what I was thinking my mother answered my question.

"Your father's human. But if I'm correct that's not why you're here, you want answers about your real parents, right?"

I sat back down still feeling extremely confused, have I been surrounded by supernatural people and things my whole life and not known about it?

I felt a bit betrayed to be kept out of the loop.

My mother took a seat opposite Rene and I so the entire set up was in a rectangle. 

"Joseph dear, would you bring out the book?" My mother addressed my dad.

The way she said the word 'book' made me feel uneasy like I didn't want to hear what was coming next, I steeled myself ready for what was to come.

My father returned and handed the book to my mother, the book floated and flipped to random pages. She took a deep breath before the book came towards me.

"Those are your real parents." 

I stared at the image in awe.

There on a hospital bed, was a young woman with wavy black hair and bright green eyes, smiling tiredly at a newborn baby who had fiery red hair and big green eyes. Next to her smiling happily at the camera was a man with fiery red hair who looked like the luckiest man alive.

My heart clenched, what happened to them?

My mother must have seen the look on my face because the book went back to her and she closed it gently and placed it on her lap.

"I'll start off by telling you that your parents knew what they were risking, and they absolutely loved you, long before you were born, you were cherished by them when your mother found out she was pregnant. Your mother's name was Ava, and your father's name was Rowan.

"My sister knew all the risks of giving birth to a half-vampire child, she died not too long after that photo was taken. Like Rene's family, your mother was the vampire of the family, she was my little sister and I'd risk my life for hers.

"As a rule, humans and vampires can't be together. The council was going to execute your father but they never found him, he left you with me in full trust of your care. But... he died after 9 years from a werewolf attack when he wandered into rogue territory by accident, you were 8 when it happened. He wanted to see you believe me, but he kept his distance to keep you safe.

"I tried getting to him when I saw his death in my dreams, I was too late and I couldn't save him. I live with that guilt because I promised your mother I would watch over him to make sure he lived safely."

I saw a tear slide down my mother's cheek and my father moved to sit beside her.

"We all loved your father, he was an incredible person that should have lived a long life if I had just managed to get to him in time. He called in regularly every chance he got to ask about you, you were always on his mind.

"I knew that half-vampires die young, I couldn't believe it when you passed your sixteenth birthday. I was ecstatic, so was Joseph since he knows about the supernatural, born into a family of rogue werewolf hunters comes in handy when marrying a witch."

She gave a snort of laughter as my father bellowed loudly. The mood in the room was sombre but was temporarily lightened with the joke, the mood went back to being dull just as quick as it had turned good.

"When you went missing nothing clicked in our minds until you left the note. We both figured out that you were turned into a rare vampire seeing as it was your seventeenth birthday that day. The problem with that is that I can't see anything about your future, or anything linked to it.

"I can't help or predict what would be the right course of action, I only knew that it would be a matter of time until you came looking for answers. We didn't come looking for you because we wanted you to take your time and come to terms with it on your own.

"We kept this all a secret from you to keep you safe, I hope that you'll forgive us. We're aware that your entire life was almost a lie. But the love we have for you isn't."