Chapter 60

'Minister of aviation, Hospital president, Ambassador, Army General, CEOs of various companies. And Damien was one of them. God, this family has it all.' October looked from one person to another seated at the grand VIP table in the well renowned Sinclair restaurant. Chinyere Ekwegh, aka Lolo, who had once been a governor of Imo state in her early days was seated at the head of the long table looking as radiant as ever. She was the eldest in the family. She had three sons, including Damien's father. If there was one thing October noticed so clearly about Damien's family, it was that no matter the rank each and every one of them had in the country, they all respected Chinyere.

The woman's hair was all grey now, and she was smiling as she exchanged small talk with Damien who October had learnt was her favorite grandchild. October was right beside Damien, sitting as quiet as ever and hoping no one would notice her. At Chinyere's right was Amaechi Ekwegh, her first son who happened to be a general in the United States army. His wife Hilda, the owner of another prestigious restaurant was after him. She kept on complaining to Claudia who was beside her about how they should have eaten at her restaurant instead of 'a lower class' one as she had referred Sinclair to. Claudia just shook her head. There was an empty chair beside Claudia, before the last son Richard and a woman she didn't know.

Damien was the first at Chinyere's left, then October and two empty chairs right after, before two other ladies and two teenage boys. October wasn't familiar with Damien's cousins but she had heard a little about his uncles.

Damien's grandfather had been dead for about six years now, so Chinyere was the head of the large family now. Sincerely, October was nervous around her. She had to tread carefully at this dinner. She was also relieved that she had gone to a mall with Damien to change her clothes. She was now dressed in a black halter neck gown which showed off her curves. Her once 'self makeup' had been wiped off and  replaced with professional but light makeup. Her bun was tighter now, more 'serious' like.

"These people know I don't tolerate lateness." Chinyere said to Damien. "They should be here by now."

"Mother." Claudia called Chinyere's attention as she dropped her phone from her ear. "William just called. He sends his apologies as he won't be able to make it tonight."

Richard scoffed.
"If the oldest son could be here even with the nature of his job, why does your husband think he can do whatever he wants?"

"It's okay." Chinyere said before any argument could be started. "He'll join us another time. He takes after his father, always busy with work. That reminds me." She turned to Damien. "Tell your grandfather to hurry up and get here." She smiled warmly. "Hurry and call him."

"Lolo." Damien paused. He didn't know what to say. "Grandpa's....."

"He had to stay back in Ireland because he missed his flight." Claudia interrupted him. "He'll be home soon."

"Yes, he called us." Hilda added.

Chinyere clicked her tongue as she stared at the seat directly opposite hers at the table. It was supposed to be where the head of the family sat according to her, and she had been expecting her husband to be there.
"Such a pity. I spent so much money on that surprise cruise. I guess it will all go to waste."

Damien sighed. He was so heartbroken to see his grandmother this way. He suddenly felt a hand slip beneath his and intertwine with his fingers. He turned to October who smiled at him.

"I guess we should start then." Chinyere said. "I don't think we're expecting anyone else."

October heard one of the ladies beside her snort. She was trying to hold in her laughter. All of them turned to look at her.