Chapter 27

Chizoba shifted from one foot to another, nervously. She stared at the woman who was their invigilator on the day of the exam; The woman who had ever so rudely told her to clean her nose. She was sitting behind her desk with Chizoba's script in her hand. She finally looked at Chizoba.

"I hope you came prepared?" She asked Chizoba.

"Yes, ma." Chizoba answered.

"Define acceleration."

"Acceleration can be defined as the rate of change of velocity with time." Chizoba answered.

"Elasticity?"

"Elasticity is the ability of a substance to regain its original shape after being distorted by an external force." Chizoba replied.

"And Charles law?" The woman asked.

"Charles law states that.." Chizoba paused. "The volume of..." She snapped her fingers behind her. "The volume of a fixed mass of gas is directly proportional to its absolute temperature if pressure remains constant."

"Over to Biology, name seven parts of the digestive system." The woman said.

"The oesophagus, the small intestine, the large intestine, the liver, the caecum, the rectum and....." Chizoba thought hard.

"Glucose is the end product of?" The woman did not even let her think.

"Carbohydrates." Chizoba answered slowly. She had just lost one question. She didn't want to lose another so she didn't dwell on that.

“Another name for the small intestine is?”

Chizoba mentally slapped herself. Now she regretted not singing along when her Biology teacher taught them that last year.

“It's ileum.” The woman looked bored with whatever Chizoba was saying or doing. Or was it disappointment?

“Coming to Chemistry,what is organic chemistry?” The woman tilted her glasses.

************

“Psst. Chizzy!” Someone called Chizoba as she headed out of the Guidance and Counseling unit. There was a hall full of students that had written the exam. They were all waiting to have their oral exam like Chizoba had just done. She didn't know how they shuffled it so she was one of the first students to have their oral exam, but she was grateful for it. She had answered Chemistry pretty well.

“Chizzy!” Chizoba turned to see who was trying to get her attention. Of course, why hadn't she thought of Vanessa?

“Remember me?” Vanessa asked as she got closer.

“I do. You're Vanessa.” Chizoba stated. “The hyperactive girl.And I'm the dirty one with the dirty nose” Chizoba thought.

“So you have a good memory?”Vanessa asked. Chizoba sighed heavily. If she could remember her name,what was surprising in Chizoba remembering her name too?

“How was oral?” Vanessa asked.

“Good.” Chizoba answered.

“I heard from a certain someone that the oral exam is over thirty. Thirty marks are to be scored which will then be added to your written exam score. That is over seventy.” Vanessa smiled.“And I also found out that about eighty percent of us failed from number one to eight in the written exam.”

Chizoba squinted. That was when it dawned on her that Lawrence must have called out the answers on purpose. No wonder he had looked at someone's paper as he called out the number one to eight answers and said,
“Some people don't know why they're here ”

“Well, I will pass.” Chizoba confidently nodded.

“I hope I will too.” Vanessa said nervously, waiting for her turn to be called. Chizoba turned to look at her but she just covered it up with a smile.

************

Damien opened the door slowly. He was holding a shoe in his hand,the same shoe October threw at him, which he had been staring at since he got to Kcee's house.
He looked up at the person outside and that was when their eyes met. He watched her small lips part in shock.

His lips curved into a grin.
“Looks like Cinderella came for her Nike shoe.” Damien said as October snapped back to reality.

“And who are you? The shoemaker?” October asked, without even realising what she was saying.

Damien's smile turned into a frown slowly.
Whack!
He had hit her on her head.....With her own shoe.

“There was no shoemaker in Cinderella, drum.”Damien said.

“Ouch!" She yelped and rubbed her head. "Why would you call me a drum?” October asked.

“Drums are empty but they make a lot of noise like girls.” Damien shrugged.

“So what? Girls are drums?” October asked.

“No.” Damien laughed. “Girls are beautiful, you're a drum.”

“What are these two doing at the door secretly?” Aaron teased as he appeared behind Damien.

Damien smiled and opened the door wider for her to enter before he walked back into the house.
October stepped in and Aaron close the door behind her.

Kcee's house was so nice and home-like. She looked around as she followed Aaron. She had been here once or twice before. She and Aaron walked through a door that led to the balcony.

Oh her gosh.

She stopped in her tracks when she saw the group of people sitting around a table. Aaron joined them. Next to him was Damien, then Kcee and then an empty seat before Kingsley and Victor,who were her secondary school classmates. They had gathered their whole clique. Her mouth dropped open when she saw the person seated beside Victor. He was staring at her and smiling.

“Shouldn't you greet your long time best friend?” Uyi asked as he made his way towards her now.

“Uyi!” She squealed, surprised as she hugged him. Ebube took his eyes away immediately. Uyi's hand moved to October's back and he rubbed it.

“I'll slap you.” She whispered in his ear and hit his arm. “Pervert.”

He began to laugh and let her go.
Damien and Aaron cleared their throats simultaneously.

“Oh,yeah.” Uyi drew her to the gathering and forced her on his seat. He drew and wedged a seat in between her seat now and Victor's.
She was seated in between Ebube and Uyi now and opposite Damien.

The occupant of the last empty seat arrived at the balcony with a huge cooler of soft drinks. October noticed what was on the table and laughed. They wanted to play WHOT cards.

“What about Stephanie? Is she still the single girl?” Uyi asked October.

“She's okay. She's dating Ebube now.” October replied.

“I thought you and Ebu were together?”Uyi asked.

“Not anymore.” October answered.

“Wait,you were dating Ebube?” Damien asked, oblivious to the fact.

“Everybody knew that.” Victor said.

“You people should play your game, please.” October said feeling uncomfortable with the topic.

She noticed that Damien was glaring at her but she just decided to ignore him.

A/N

Ebu- Short form for Ebube.

Amazing cover credit-love_richie.
Thanks. Your work is appreciated.

Hope you didn't wait for too long.😙
Champions 🙌
Read, enjoy and stay blessed😘