Chapter 52

October sighed for the hundredth time. Her plane had landed twenty minutes ago at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport in Abuja, but yet here she was waiting for Aaron and Kcee to do whatever it was they were occupied with. She was already feeling jet lagged. There was already a driver who had been waiting in front of the airport for their arrival, and her luggage had been put in his car. She just stood there with her arms crossed as she leaned on the Ford he had parked there.

She looked at the airport and smiled. At this time, people would be awaiting the arrival of their friends or family, while others were either waiting for their plane or going in and coming out of the airport. Somehow, she was happy she was back in her country Nigeria. Her gaze caught someone as he walked out of the airport with his bag in his right hand and a huge smile on his face. His cellphone was pressed softly to his ear.

She knew that whoever he was talking to on the phone had to be important, because Damien Ekwegh never smiled like that to just anyone, not even her. She hadn't realized that she was staring until his gaze met hers. She quickly took her gaze away.

"I'll call you back." Damien said to the person at the other end of the line as he approached October. He cut the call and chucked his phone into his pocket.

October shut her eyes and bit her lower lip, just wishing he would walk past her. After that day at the cinema, she had been avoiding him....and he knew it. They had been on the same plane today, but she hadn't even spared him a glance.

Or so he thought.

Well, her wish didn't come true because he stopped right in front of her and watched her with an unintentional smile glued to his face. He knew she must have sensed his presence but she didn't want to acknowledge the fact. It was good for him anyways, because with the way she was, he could stare at her all day.

She gave a frustrated sigh and opened her eyes when she realized that he wasn't just going to go away.
"Can I help you?" She rose an eyebrow.

He grinned,
"Still avoiding me?" He asked. She scoffed and just looked away from him. "You know, if......"

"Well," She shrugged as she looked at him. "You got what you want. You kissed me, even without my permission. It's done. Do you need anything else?" She pouted in annoyance. Her arms were still crossed. He didn't say anything.

Damien clicked his tongue. He did what he did, and there was no way he was going to apologize for kissing her.
"Just- come back to work."

"Who? Me?" She laughed sarcastically. "I don't think you're talking to me right now."

"So let me get this straight. You're angry because I kissed you?" He rubbed his right temple. "You know what? I guess this I can apologize for this first one then." He nodded and gave her a cocky smile. "Because I'll make sure I have many other opportunities to repeat it."

October's mouth almost dropped open. Unbelievable....
If she didn't know him, she would have slapped him. He was being a pervert right now.
A very hot pervert.

She mentally slapped herself for having such thoughts.
"Need I remind you that you have a girlfriend?" She glared at him.

That hit Damien hard.
'We're not dating.' He wanted to scream out loud, but he refrained from doing so.

October rolled her eyes and was about to say something when someone's arm was thrown over Damien's shoulder, causing Damien to budge a little.

Aaron smiled as he handed his bag in his other hand to the driver, who had alighted from the car as soon as he had seen him and Kcee approaching.

"All the bad blood between you two out now?" Aaron released Damien from his half-hug as he looked from October to Damien, and then October again.
Kcee just stood at the door of the passengers seat with his hands folded at his back, while he observed the whole area after he had put his own bags in the car trunk.

"What bad blood?" October tried to act oblivious as she avoided Aaron's gaze. She unfolded her arms. "I'll be in the car." She turned and opened the door to the back seat and entered into the car.

Aaron sighed and turned to Damien. "She needs time to reflect on her actions toward you and Jessica after what she did that day at the hospital. I'm so sorry....."

"You've apologized on her behalf a thousand times, let it go." Damien gave him a tiny smile.

"Cool." Aaron nodded. "Cool." He inhaled deeply. "Speaking of Jessica, where's she? She didn't come back?"

"Umm, she decided she would spend a few more days there." Damien scratched his eyebrow just as a car drove towards where they stood and stopped right beside them. Damien smirked. "That would be my ride home."

"Okay." Aaron smiled too and they exchanged their signature handshake. "And hey," He called Damien back as he had turned to go. "You need to tell me what happened at that cinema the other day. When we found you guys, she looked like she wanted to kill you." Aaron used his eyes to point to the direction of the car which October was in.

Damien chuckled.
"Maybe not."

Aaron just laughed as he watched Damien leave in the car. He turned and got in his car too, from the other side of the back seat. Kcee waited till he was in before he entered through the passengers door.

"Don't even utter a word." October frowned at Aaron the moment he sat beside her. He drew two fingers across his mouth as if to zip it. He just grinned.
"I said don't say anything!" She used her palm to slap his forehead.

"I never said anything." Aaron rubbed his forehead. Her hits were always the kind that stung immediately after it was delivered. "I don't know whether the air hostess slipped something in your drink or something." He muttered as he shook his head.

"Kcee, can you imagine....." October turned to Kcee now, but he too was laughing at the front. She opened her mouth to speak when her phone rang. After locating it, she picked up at the third ring, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?" She tried to shush Aaron as he made jest of her with Kcee.

"Obianuju."
October froze the moment she heard that voice.

There was only one person who called her middle name with such a tone. In fact, there was only one person who called her by her middle name since she could remember. And she could recognize the voice even after years. He still had her number?

"Come home." The person at the other end of the line said before it went dead. She slowly dropped her phone, still in shock.

"Why do you look like you have seen a ghost? Who was that? Somebody you owe?" Aaron asked her.

"I wish." October slowly turned to look at him and the next thing she said made him surprised too.

"It was Dad."

A/N:
So..... you like? 😉

Stay clean, stay healthy, stay safe, stay smart, and most importantly, stay prayerful during this period of quarantine.

Love you all,
Your author, Pearl.

Read, enjoy and stay blessed 😘