Chapter 43

October added a few touches to her light makeup as she dressed for the party in the room she shared with Majesty and Jessica. Majesty was on the phone as always, not bothering about anyone else and October guessed that she was not going. Jessica was laughing about something on her phone and October didn't even want to know if she was going or not. There was a knock on the door and Joan walked in.

"We're leaving in ten minutes." She announced.

"Okay." October was the one who answered. Joan smiled and turned to go.

"Um, hey." Jessica called and snapped her fingers. "Hey." October didn't even bother to turn. It couldn't be her that Jessica was calling like that. But Joan turned.

"The air freshener is not nice. I prefer roses." Jessica said. Joan looked at her, confused.

"Don't you work for Sharmaine at the resort? I said I need a rose scented...." Jessica paused. "And by the way, send someone to bring a mop over. Be a honey and get me a cup of coffee on your way back."

"I'm sorry, but I'm on a work break for the reunion."

"But you're the one who came to announce that we are leaving soon right? You work here as long as you are in the building." Jessica said and shrugged.

"That's not how it..." Joan was saying.

"I can pay you separately for each service. Is that what you need? Extra pay?" Jessica asked.

Joan just stood there dumbfounded. October dropped her lipgloss in irritation.

"Well, if you're so incapable of mopping the floor then you should have brought your house maid." October looked away from the mirror to Jessica.

"And you're speaking because?" Jessica asked raising an eyebrow.

"You said so yourself that she works for Sharmaine. And when Sharmaine says she has a break, she has a break." October said.

"Who do you think you are?" Jessica scoffed. "She's a worker here. That's why she's here."

"She is here 'because' she is a part of our reunion. She was from our school. I wonder what 'some people' are doing here." October shrugged.

"Damien brought me here. Does it hurt you that he brought me here?" Jessica asked. "And if she's from your school, she shouldn't be working here as a servant." Jessica said and smirked. "What happened? You got broke? Daddy got poor? Or rather, daddy died and your relatives took all his money?"

"That's none of your business." October defended Joan who looked like she wanted to cry. That was a sensitive topic that no one talked about.

"Stop being her mouth piece. Let her talk." Jessica told October.

"Why is your body always pinching you? Why are you always looking for trouble? Are you demonic?" October asked her.

"Shut up!" Jessica rose her voice. "Now I see why you're always defending her. You both now have one thing in common. You're like the definition of poverty amongst your friends. You're defending her because she's poor like you, slut."

October scoffed and opened her mouth to speak when a glass bottle flew past Jessica, so close it almost brushed her. Jessica's eyes widened as she turned to the direction it came from.

"Aish." Majesty shook her wrist. "I missed my aim." She dropped her phone on the bed.

"I think we should all respect ourselves and have peace in this room, you most especially. You're here by chance, that should tell you something. I kept my cool about you being in this reunion. Don't let me rethink my decision because I'll make sure you're out of here. Joan is Sharmaine's best friend. Make no mistake talking to her like that." She smiled. "And don't take my silence for ignorance, because nobody picks on October Obiakor other than me."