Chapter 44

October looked at the bartender and blinked twice.

"Do I look under-aged to you?" She asked. She sucked on her lower lip and looked around. Most of the people that had come to 'celebrate' had gotten drunk. Aaron and Kcee were nowhere to be found and they certainly were not drunk; they would never be. Victor was just there admist all the passed out people, stuffing his face with food. And the worst part was that Deji was on the stage, ready to karaoke everyone in the bar a migraine.

"I just asked for an ID." The bartender said.

"And I believe I just asked for a drink. So you can speak English?" October asked him.

"You look under-aged." The bartender shrugged.

"Hector." A guy walked towards them and stopped beside October. "Give the English lady a drink." He was talking to the bartender.

"Thank you." October turned to him as the bartender nodded and disappeared behind the counter.

"It's nothing."
October noticed his Filipino accent. "Care to go somewhere quiet?"

October almost laughed as she heard that line. That was something cliche that she had heard so many times in movies and she knew where it led to. She smiled.

"No. I'm okay."

"On me." He dropped a few notes on the table as the bartender appeared again with a glass of orange juice.

'What was this guy's problem?' October wondered. Juice? Did she ask for juice?

The bartender smirked and dropped it on the counter for her. He left again to do his business. October shook her head and took the glass. She decided to let it go. She played with the glass and the guy watched her.

"Are those your friends over there?" He asked her. October turned to where her friends sat.

"Embarrassingly, yes." October said.

"You have something in your..." He reached out to touch October's hair when someone held his hand midway. October and the guy looked up to see Ebube. Ebube released his hand and he dropped it.

Ebube smiled and dropped a bundle of pisos on the counter.
"Take it, find a nice girl and take her out on a date. This one's a no go area."

The guy hesitated before he picked up the money and left. Ebube dusted his hands and took his seat.

"What is wrong with you?" October asked him.

"It was so obvious he was going to pounce on you any moment from now. I'm a guy. I know how guys are."

October cleared her throat and looked down.
"Thank you." She said almost as a whisper, hoping he wouldn't hear.

"You're welcome." He smirked, looking around.

"We're not still cool." October didn't look at him as she took a sip out of her drink.

"I know." Ebube said, sighing. "October Obiakor the proud child."

He and October exchanged glances before they burst into laughter.

October knew something was wrong. She was not supposed to be laughing with someone who dumped her. Was she that lonely?

"How are you?" He asked after the laughter died down.

"Great." October took a sip out of her juice again.

"Are you and Uyi- - - dating?" Ebube asked, feeling a little bit uncomfortable with the question himself.

"Even if we were, it wouldn't concern you." October said and rested her head on her palm with her elbow on the counter, supporting her hand.

Ebube opened his mouth to speak when his phone rang. He looked at the caller ID and sighed.

"I'll be back." He said and stood up.

"Yeah, take your time." October said. Ebube walked away. October felt weird. She sighed and downed the remaining of her juice. She was beginning to feel tired. She stared at the bartender who stared at her in return. She was literally seeing double. She lowered her head and lay it on the counter.

************

Ebube cut the call and headed towards the bar again. He didn't see October anymore but he noticed October's purse laying on the counter. That was weird. She would never do that.

He asked a man sitting at a table nearby if he had seen October leave but he only spoke Filipino which was not helping at all at this point.

"I saw her." A woman at the same table said. Ebube turned to her. "She was kind of drunk so the bartender offered to get her a taxi."

Ebube was surprised. She only had juice.....unless..... He sniffed the glass that was still on the counter. Shoot! She had been drugged!