Chapter 72

October blinked twice as Louis stared into her eyes. No. It couldn't be. She had met Louis in the Philippines. They couldn't just meet in Nigeria by coincidence.

She could feel gazes on her and it made her uncomfortable as he helped her stand properly. Thank God that not a lot of people had stopped to observe. The press had already taken pictures though, and she knew it would end up somewhere with her fall as the headline. She could also feel Damien's burning gaze on her.

Had he seen everything?

Her cheeks almost turned red in embarrassment.

"It's you." Louis's eyebrows creased as she looked back at him.

"Uh... I don't know what you're talking about." She avoided his gaze. She needed to get out of here as soon as possible. She wasn't really in the mood to talk to anyone right now, especially after Damien and Jessica and then embarrassing herself. "I'm sorry for bumping into you."

Before he could tell her anything else, she spun around and began to walk away.

October groaned when she saw the number of cars approaching the hotel. This meant she wouldn't be able to cross over to her car. She walked as fast as she could in order to get to the side of the hotel. She shouldn't have come here. She should have backed out when Jessica had come to her earlier on.

She folded her arms as she kept on going, not minding where her legs were taking her - although she did notice that the more she carried on, the more the people around reduced. Good. In about a hundred more steps, she could cry in peace.

"Hey!" She snapped out of her thoughts when someone gently touched her arm. She almost jumped out of her skin and she turned immediately. She was relieved to see it was only the person she had met a few minutes ago. The person who had saved her.

Had he been following her?

"You dropped this." Louis stretched his hand to her and her eyes followed his movement. Her purse was in his hand.

"Oh." She rose both her eyebrows. So he had been following her, but only to return her purse. "Thank you." Hiding the tears in her eyes, she had her head down as she reached for the purse. He gripped it tighter, hesitating for a bit as he tried to get another clear picture of her before he let her take it.

He noticed she didn't even open it to check if something was missing. Her mind must have been elsewhere. He also noticed she was wearing a Verano necklace. He could recognize his designs anywhere.

He cleared his throat.
"You know, the gala's that way." He gestured to where they had both been coming from. His accent was beautiful...
Wait. Why was she thinking about that?

"Yeah, my date couldn't make it."
No, her date had come with someone else and she was only there because she was his date. She wouldn't be able to get in without the invited person.

"Well that's a shame then." Louis said softly and she rose her head to look at him. "I get to see a pretty woman today and he doesn't."

October knew he could see her teary eyes but it was like he didn't ask about it on purpose. She gave him a small smile and rose the purse up. "Thank you again. I've gotta go now."

"You really want to let all this go to waste?" He asked.  "I mean, you look amazing - and I'm saying that from a point that won't make you feel uncomfortable. I know how long it takes for you women to do all .... that." He tried to use his hands to describe her appearance. "You should stay, have what you came for and let him realize what he missed out on."

She took a deep breath.
"I don't have another choice."

"I happen to - be alone. And I was going to attend the gala like that but here you are."
She just stood there watching him like he was speaking in a foreign language and for the first time he wondered if he was speaking English all wrong. He scratched his head and averted his gaze to the cars that were passing by.

"You don't even know me."

He smirked and looked at her.
"Are you sure? Because the last time we met you had given me a clue and I had my research done. The niece of the designer's shoes I had on?" He asked to make her remember. "I was going to find you but I never expected to meet you here."

"No way." She crossed her arms and tilted her head a little bit. "I thought I was mistaken."

Louis smiled.
"Nice to meet you again, October."

She had thought she would never see him again. Was this a coincidence? Coincidence or not, it was a blessing in disguise. If she went with him, she wouldn't have to run away. If she went with him, she wouldn't have to answer questions from her mum or people who were expecting her to go with Damien. If she went with him, she would be winning in this situation. She was going to appear to Damien as unfazed.

And she did.

Lawrence was the first person who spotted her the moment she walked into the large gold and white designed hall adorned with huge golden chandeliers. His eyes went to her arm in Louis's. He tapped his mum immediately.

Damien was standing with a cluster of his business partners, ninety percent of them being young bachelors. He was barely engaging in their conversation and was backing the doors so he couldn't see who was coming in.

"Is that October Obiakor?" One of them interrupted their discussion with his mouth dropped.

The others looked too but Damien froze.

"Damn." Another one said. "Is it me or she's not the same young October?"

"It's not you." Ebuka shook his head. "But I think the perfect word is 'hot'."

Was she really here?
Damien knew he had messed up. He hadn't even remembered the fact that she couldn't get into the building as he had left her. Then something clicked.

If she couldn't get in, how was she.....

He quickly turned and at the same moment he did, a beaming October walked past his group with her arm in a man's. She didn't even spare him a glance. He watched them walk further into the hall.

He had left her, but seeing her with someone else enraged him.

He snapped out of his thoughts when one of the men with him gasped.
"Is that the 'Verano's jewel' on her?"

By now, they were all staring at the necklace October wore.

"It couldn't be. That's limited. There are only three of those in the world." Bill replied. He had inherited his father's company at a young age and he happened to have a news house. He always picked up the littlest details and had his nose stuck in everyone's business.

"Isn't it possible he gave one to her?" Crawford, who was his partner asked.

"Only three of those were made. That would be so expensive. Why would he give one of them to her? Unless...." Bill was saying when he trailed off. A smile slowly crept up on his face. "Crawford, this is big juicy news. And we got it first."

Damien watched Louis and October stop to meet with some businessmen. And in that moment, she suddenly met his gaze. And she held his stare.

A/N
So.... let's all take it as 'I had to take a while month's break' and overlook it. I think today would make it a month on the dot since my last update. Tuesdays and Fridays are back on ❤️