Chapter 42

Sharmaine cleared her throat and stood up as soon as she was done eating.
"I need your attention!" She yelled to silence everyone as Raul moved towards her. "I have an announcement to make." She said after the place got quiet.

"Actually,we have an announcement." She continued as she held Raul's hand.

Everyone waited for her to speak.

"You are all invited to Sharmaine Oghenevo and Raul Macaulay's wedding, coming January....." She hadn't even finished when most of them started screaming and cheering.

"Oh my gosh. That is great news." Stephanie said. Sharmaine rose her hand, showing them where the ring sat on one of her fingers.

"Dibs on maid of honour." Joan said.

"It's already your spot." Sharmaine was beaming. "You are all groomsmen and bridesmaids and VVIPs."

"This calls for a celebration!" Deji announced, cheering.

"I already threw a party."Sharmaine laughed.

"It no matter. Forget that thing. A party without us deserves a do over." Victor said.

"Just say you want to go to a party." Aaron slapped his head.

"If you don't want, don't come." Victor tried to defend himself.

"He doesn't even have money to pay for the party o." Adaeze chirped in.

"But really,we have to celebrate right now. It's eight pm already, the best time to go partying." Kingsley said.

"I agree." Crown said.

"Oh, so it's okay when he says it?" Victor pointed his thumb at Kingsley.

Alice eyed him and Amaka hissed before she asked, "Who's this one?"

"Your fath..." Victor was saying when the three 'A' list gossipers looked at him. (Amaka, Alice and Adaeze)

"I'm just saying, it's not fair." Victor said to everyone. "And as I was previously saying, your father." He showed Amaka his five fingers and then covered her face with his open palm.

"See this..." Amaka slapped his hand away. He stood up and ran as soon as she tried to hit him. She followed after him.

"We're leaving in thirty minutes!" Sharmaine yelled after them. Most of them began to leave the room to dress up. Only about five of them remained.

October was one of them. She didn't want to show it, but she was bothered by the way Jessica was lingering onto Damien like he was her oxygen; Or maybe she was doing it to prove a point because October noticed she was smiling like she had evil intentions and she was looking her way every now and then. Or was she just reading too much into behaviour of people these days? She was thinking too much.

She almost screamed when she felt a sting on her ear. She was too slow to catch whatever had caused her pain. Without turning, she stretched her hand behind her and drew the shirt of the person behind her.

"I've told you times without number to stop biting my ear. You can't hear?" She drew Uyi to her front. "Ogini mere nti gi?"

"When did you learn to speak your language? You  should get broke more often." Uyi laughed. "And I can't help it. It's too succulent, too delicious."

"Inyama..inyama..ewwww. Please stop it, you sound weird."

"Stop staring." Jessica turned Damien's face away from Uyi and October.

"Is it a crime to look?" Damien rolled his eyes.

"Look? No. But stare? Yes. You only have eyes for Jessica Eburuche; Only me."

"Why are you being so paranoid?" Damien asked her.

"It's the way you're looking at her when you were supposed to be looking at me." Jessica said.

"I'm not looking at her, I'm not planning on looking at you, not now,not in ten years to come."

Jessica smiled. She was used to his hurtful words; But she was so obsessed and she knew how to call his bluff.
"You'll have to. You know it. You have to stay with me till every debt is paid off. You know what happens if you try to push me away."

"Just go dress up. I don't need this right now."

"You're not going?" She asked him.

"I'm not. I don't usually go out with them so it won't be a surprise to them."

"I'm staying if you are." Jessica said. Damien rolled his eyes. She smiled and kissed his cheek.