Chapter 73

October took deep breaths as she stared at her reflection in the restroom mirror. It had barely been thirty minutes since she got to the gala and she needed some time alone. Louis was a nice date, but he was too busy conversing with people.

She had to admit though, when it came to pretending you aren't seeing a guy staring at you, she was a pro. She could feel Damien's gaze in the hall like if he had stared at her any longer he would have bored holes into her skin. Maybe she shouldn't have looked at him when she walked in.
Was he feeling guilty for what he did now?

At least now she was in a temporary safe place. Damien could not come in here to try to apologize because she didn't want to hear it from him at this time. She wasn't sure the stalls in the restroom were empty, but to her it was good if they weren't. She never liked being somewhere alone.

She looked around the restroom. On a normal day, she would have been taking note of the way the walls were clean and shiny and so white, or how this was one of the restrooms you could literally sleep in. But this was not a normal day.

Her thoughts were interrupted when the door to the restroom burst open and Damien stormed in. For a moment, he stood there with his eyes fixed on her shocked face.

October regained her composure and turned to the sink. She turned on the tap and then began to rinse off who knows what.
"You know, you're in the ladies room." She focused on her hands as she heard his steps draw closer. "I knew you were many things but definitely not a perv...." she stopped the moment she looked up at the mirror and he was there - behind her. She turned off the tap but remained how she was.

He was looking at her reflection in the mirror too, staring at her eyes.
"If you're doing all this to get to me...."

October scoffed, cutting him off.
"Not even an 'I'm sorry I left you standing outside' speech? I knew you were rude, but I didn't expect you to be pathetic."

"I sent you a text."

"Screw your text." She turned to face him. "And screw you too."

"Damnit October. There was a reason!" Damien rose his voice

"Don't you dare shout at me!" She rose her voice too.

Damien calmed down a bit when her words sank in. He raked a hand through his hair.
"I can't tell you the reason, but I didn't intend on doing that to you."

"Lie." October said immediately. "You had it all planned. She came to me to gloat because she knew this all along. So why waste my time? Why involve the media?" She scoffed. "Was this it? Your 'revenge'?" She asked in a mocking tone.

"I never planned this. Something happened and I can't tell you what it was. You weren't supposed to see this, alright? You weren't even supposed to be here. If you'd have just seen the text earlier...."

"You see the problem right now? You still don't realize that you wronged me, do you?" October looked him straight in his eyes. "You left me standing out there as shocked as I was that you had brought someone else for a gala you had asked me to follow you to - like you didn't know me. Text or not, I was wronged."

Damien was quiet for a moment. He knew he had hurt her. He couldn't deny it, not even to himself.

"October - -" he started before the door to the bathroom opened and a lady walked in. Both Damien and October turned to look at her and she halted in surprise immediately she saw Damien. The whole scene became weird.

She cleared her throat and Damien once again remembered he was in the ladies room. Damien turned back to October. It looked like he had more to say but he just nodded, turned and headed out. The lady moved out of the way for him to pass by, making sure to steal a better glance at who he was. After he had left, she made her way for one of the stalls in the restroom, her and October looking at each other.