Chapter 49

There was a knock on Sharmaine's door before it opened.

"There's something called permission. I didn't give you that to come in." Sharmaine sat up on the bed she was on. She was the only one in the room. She frowned when she saw who it was.

"I don't really care." Ebube walked in and leaned on the cream coloured wall beside her bed. He stared at the wall opposite him. It was covered with a blue wallpaper version of their graduation picture.

"There's something called privacy." Sharmaine took off her eyeglasses and rubbed her eyes.

"I know." He folded his arms. He finally looked at her again. "You still wearing glasses?"

"I'm still trying to do away with it." She rubbed her eyes again.

"Don't. You'll fall into a ditch one day." He paused. "Oh, wait. That already happened in secondary school."

"I knew you were going to say that next, you enemy of progress!" Sharmaine exclaimed and the both of them burst into laughter.

"This was how it was supposed to be, full of laughter." Sharmaine said after her laughter faded.

"This was how it was." Ebube said only after he realised that she was talking about the reunion. "It's British Royal students you're talking about. Even if there's love, they wouldn't want to show it."

"I planned for it to be perfect." Sharmaine said and sighed.

"It's not your fault. You're always the one that keeps us together. So far, we're still here together." He paused and licked his lips. Speaking of faults, I came here to apologize for the way I yelled at you before."

"I know." Sharmaine smiled. "I expected you to come apologize."

"Don't make fun of my soft side. You want the apology or not?"

"Okay, carry on." Sharmaine laughed.

Ebube sighed.
"I'm sorry for the way I yelled at you. It was totally un-cool and I was being a jerk."

"It's okay." She shrugged. "I wasn't that offended."

"'That' offended?" He asked.

"I only found it a little bit offensive, but shook it off after it happened. What are friends for?"

Ebube smiled.
"I wish everyone was like you."

"What? Fun?"

"Cool." He answered. "Just so cool."

"Awwwn." Sharmaine smiled. "But I know you did what you did because of love." Ebube stared at her. "I don't know what you are thinking, but stop. Your head's too far up your mother's butt. I know for a fact that you still love October and you don't even try to deny it. I'm not saying Stephanie is bad for you, but you're an adult. Don't let anyone make your decisions for you. I don't want my best friend to make any wrong decisions he'll regret." She pouted and shrugged.

"Um," He squinted. "First of all, my mother's butt?"

Sharmaine snorted and face palmed herself. She wanted to stop the laughter that was about to come out.

"And secondly, the tables have turned. Look at me listening to your advice." He grinned.

"Well, I have been gaining wisdom for years from my Bible. I give really great advice now." She smiled.

"Raul's going to love you." Ebube's smile grew wider.

"I know." Sharmaine pushed her hair to the back and fanned her face, batting her long eyelashes. "Everyone does."