Chapter 57

October didn't even bother to move. She just stood her ground. She threw her bag on the couch and waited for him to speak. Since the last five years, he had sure added some weight. His mustache was cut differently and his beard had been shaved. He smelt of strong perfume and his eyes were dimmer. A lot of things had changed, but still there was one thing she guessed he would never stop. His expensive isi agu always stood him out coupled with his black trousers. It was impossible for anyone to miss the akala arrayed on his neck. Those beads were beautiful.

"I told you to come home." He leaned back on his chair and swirled the end of his walking stick which had a golden head of a lion at the top.

"Why?" She asked. "So you could arrange my marriage again?"

He sighed and looked at her.
"I just wanted the best for you then. Was that my fault?"

"Yes." She stared at him in the eye. "Yes it was. Everything that happened is your fault."

"You deserved all I did for you. You wanted all of it."

"I never wanted anything you did. And what part did I deserve? Being thrown out?" She tried to hold her anger in. This was the conversation she had waited for for a long time. "Five years, dad. Five years. You never cared. You were just greedy. You are greedy."

Kcee looked at them while standing in his spot. If things went south, what would he do?

"And you are my child. You are supposed to carry my legacy, you and your brothers. You think being jobless for four years and owing a bank for three was living? Or even getting yourself kidnapped? That's disappointing. The only thing you've done right is to work for the Ekweghs."

October scoffed.
"So what, you had me followed by your killers?" She looked at Kcee with the corner of her eyes as she said it. Kcee was just looking at them. He didn't flinch. Did that affect him?

"Not just my killers Obianuju. They were going to be your killers someday." He looked so serious and it made her wonder if someone had maltreated him in the past for him to have turned out this way. "What is this? A house?" He gestured to the whole interior of her house.

October rubbed her forehead.
"You know, I always waited for the day you would realize you were wrong. It seems like that day would never come. If you didn't come here to apologize, then I have to ask you to leave."

"What would it take for you to come back home? If you come back, I promise to stay off your marriage case."

"I don't need you now." She gestured to the door. "Please, leave."

She wasn't the eighteen year old anymore. He couldn't force her to do anything now. And he knew that.

He took a deep breath and stood up. His frown turned to a smile slowly as he nodded and turned towards Peppy who had been standing there all along.
"It was nice to meet you." He signaled one of the other guards as Kcee opened the front door. Peppy just stared at him and didn't say anything. He stood up and his bodyguards got ready to leave. October didn't even look at him as he walked past her, and even when he walked out the door. His two other bodyguards left with him.

"Are you okay?" Kcee asked her. He had some seconds to spare before he left. She nodded and turned to him. "I think you should give him a chance. I feel something is wrong."

"You too?" She rolled her eyes.

"I'm just saying. He's not like himself these days." Kcee shrugged. "Take care." He patted her head before he left.

October closed the door after him and sighed. She paused for some seconds before she turned back. She almost jumped out of her skin when she saw Peppy directly behind her. She held her chest.

"Gosh, you scared me." October took calming breaths. Peppy looked like she had something to say, but as usual she just shrugged it off and turned to leave. Peppy opened the door, exhaled and then turned back halfway to look at October who was still watching her movement.

"For what it's worth, if someone comes back to you after hurting you, you should give him a chance to explain and apologize. Not everyone has that chance."
And then she left.

October's mouth dropped open. What was going on today? From one shocking thing to another, her day was going.

Was she dreaming or did Peppy just talk? Did she just utter her first words in four whole years?

Unbelievable. Olivia had to hear this.