Chapter 36

The chilly late November air was filled with the sounds of the drumline drumming, cheerleaders cheering, and the students in the student section doing whatever it was that they do. It was the night that everyone had waited for with anticipation, the district championship game.

"Alright ladies! This is it, fourth quarter. For some of us this is our last game as high school cheerleaders!" Luca started as the girls in the huddle gushed at him. "On behalf of all us seniors, we want to thank all you girls for all the amazing memories. We had a kick ass season, a strong halftime! We just gotta power through this last bit! Get everyone hype! This is a close game, just like every game with Hilldale. Our boys are good, but Hilldale is just as good!"

"Is Hilldale good? Why don't you tell us, Luc." One of the junior girls teased with a wide smile as another girl whistled suggestively.

"Shut up." Luca drawled as he blushed bright red, bashfully biting his lower lip. Luca and Aidan, or Laidan, as most people reffered to them, were Crenshaw County's hottest "it" couple. As much as Luca playfully despised him for it, it looked like Endri's ship name somehow managed to stick.

"Alright Ladies and Luca, hands in!" Hannah called out with a smiled wide, her eyes scanning over all the girls, though she flashed a melancholic smile at Claire, Luca and the other Senior girls. "We're Spartans and we'll be Spartans for life."

"Spartans for life." Luca repeated after her as they all put their hands in the center of the circle.

"GO SPARTANS!" The squad screamed raising their arms into the air before getting back into their formations.

    Two weeks had past since everything went down, and much to Luca and Aidan's relief, everyone seemed to have moved on with their lives. Luca and Aidan could finally have what they had longed for, for three long months; they could finally love each other openly and unapologetically. They could finally walk through town holding hands, go to parties together and make out on the dance floor; not giving a flying fuck what anyone had to say.

    Luca and Aidan, had become the celebrity "it" couple of Crenshaw County. People would smile and stare lovingly whenever they encountered them kissing, cuddling, or even just existing in public. It was a stark difference from what they experienced right after that Facebook post went out, but neither of them were complaining.

    Eventually everyone realized that love is love. It doesn't matter if Luca was a Spartan and Aidan, a Raider. It didn't matter that they were both boys. All that mattered was that they were truly head over heels for each other, the rest were all just miscellaneous details.

    But that wasn't the only change that happened. Luca's rant went viral on Facebook and Twitter. Everything he said about how toxic the rivalry between Crenshaw and Hilldale was seemed to hit a chord with people. Leading up to the big district championship game, there were only harmless little pranks that didn't cause any great damage or pain to anyone. Perhaps if anything Luca got the slight satisfaction that through all the pain that Aidan and him went through, at least the future Raiders and Spartans to walk the halls of Hilldale and Crenshaw would be able to have a fun light hearted rivalry where nobody ever got hurt.

    Luca continued to cheer in the icy cold winter air; clouds of fog spouting from everyone's mouths as the squad did the cheers that they were oh so tired of doing by now. Every last person on the squad gave it their all, every cheer was animated and every flip was perfectly executed as if they were being judged at competition. But they weren't doing it for anyone but themselves and their school.

    The game was close as it was. Crenshaw was leading by five points, but knowing them and Hilldale, it was still up in the air. There were only about fifteen seconds left on the clock and  Hilldale had possession of the ball. Aidan called the play and they took their positions, he gave Christian a quick glare as the boy prepared to run as soon as the ball was in motion. Instead of passing the ball back to Endri, Aidan made a quick kick and punted the ball across the field straight for Christian.