Chapter 30

Every year after the playoff game between Hilldale and Crenshaw, there was a huge party where kids from both schools would party together. It was the one night when the rivalry was halted, and a temporary truce was called between the two schools. It was a night to have fun, cut loose, make new friends; though for the most part people just stuck with their own friends.

Luca loved it, then again he never turned down an opportunity to hang out with his friends and get absolutely plastered. But this year it wasn't the same. This year he wasn't all that into it. Every little thing seemed to irritate him more than usual. The sound of girls squealing, drunk teenagers tripping and stumbling around while spilling their drinks. The unnerving feeling of his shoes tacking to the sticky floor beneath his soles. It all seemed to put his teeth on edge.

His fight with Aidan really took a toll on him, and though he wanted nothing more than to put on a happy face for Gianna and Arianna he couldn't seem to muster it. He tried hard to take shots and dance with his friends, but his heart just wasn't quite in it. He felt this inexplicable feeling of dread deep within his chest.

"Alright what the fuck is wrong with you?" Gianna rolled her eyes as she shoved both her cousins into an empty bathroom on the second floor of the large house they were in. They never knew whose house these parties were at, but it had to be large enough to accommodate all the people from both schools.

"Nothing... I'm fine..." Luca drawled unconvincingly.

"I love you with all my heart, fratello." Gianna flashed a forced smile at him. "But you're fucking lying."

"Alright fine." Luca groaned, rolling his eyes. "Aidan and I... kind of had a fight..."

"Why, what did you do?" Gianna asked calmly without missing a beat.

"What makes you think I did something?" Luca glared up at her defiantly.

"Because you're the neurotic mess in this situation and Aidan seems like the rational one." Gianna said matter-of-factly, earning her a scoff from Luca.

"He's mad that I ghosted him last night after the game." Luca drawled.

"Why the fuck did you do that?" Gianna asked pointedly.

"Because I thought he lost because of me and I didn't want to face him." Luca replied, grimacing as his cousin smacked him upside the head.

"Do you know how fucking stupid you sound right now?! Why would you do that?! Surely you're not that dumb! What's wrong with you?!" Gianna exclaimed.

"Gia..." Arianna tried to calm her down, knowing this wasn't going to help the situation at all.

"No Aria! He needs to hear it! That boy LOVES you, Luca! I see it in the way he looks at you. He would move heaven and earth for you! He risked so much just running across that field because he NEEDED to know you were okay! And you ignore him because you think he's upset that he lost the fucking game!? Luca think for a minute! Just THINK! Do you think he gives a shit about some game, they qualified for the championships already."

"I don't know okay! I don't know what's happening! I'm losing control of everything and it's driving me insane!" Luca exclaimed angrily at his cousin.

"Luca you're not God! You don't have control over every little thing in this world, and I hate to break it to you!"

"It's not all my fault! He's the one who said we should break up if I was going to keep acting like this!" Luca countered with hand sassily placed on his waist.

"He was probably angry! Believe you me, I can relate!" Gianna said angrily, turning to Arianna for a nod of approval. "I've BEEN there when you lose control, Luca! I've seen you spiral and shut yourself off and it is the most INFURIATING, IRRITATING, SELFISH, ASSWHOLERY I have ever seen!"