Chapter 19

Luca huffed as he lifted the tray of used dishes up, hoisting it onto his shoulder and trudging towards the kitchens. Passing through the door, he flashed Arianna an exhausted eye roll as she carried a platter of pasta back out into the dining area.

Weekend shifts at Giovanni's were always the worst. The crowd was horrendous and at times Luca felt like it was his own personal hell. From the children throwing and spilling things to suburban moms with attitude sending back dishes that they weren't satisfied with.

"You look like shit." Gio said with a smirk, commenting on Luca's disheveled appearance.

"Fuck you too." Luca scoffed, jokingly shoving Gio as he stirred a pot of Pesto alla trapanese. "You try waiting tables for once."

"I'd rather not." Gio said with a soft smile staring up at Luca wearily. "How are you? I feel like I never see you anymore."

"What do you mean? I see you everyday at school." Luca said glaring at him as he smoothly deflected the question.

"You know what I mean." Gio shot him the side eye. "I feel like you never talk to me anymore."

"I guess we're both just busy, aren't we." Luca said flatly as Gio stared at him with a look of sheer disappointment clear on the taller boy's face.

    Only a little over a month ago, Gio and Luca were inseparable. They were polar opposites, but nonetheless they were best friends since birth. Gio played football and soccer while Luca did gymnastics and cheerleading. Gio was a manly man while Luca was considerably more feminine. Gio listened to rap and rock while Luca listened to pop and R&B.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" Gio said with a sad smile. "You used to tell me everything, now it feels like we're strangers."

    Luca didn't know what to say to that. He couldn't well have denied it, because deep inside he knew it was true. There was a time when Gio, Gianna, and Luca told each other everything, but since he started dating Aidan, he'd been keeping Gio at arm's length. He felt bad about it, but he knew Gio would be fuming if he ever found out the truth; he and Aidan weren't exactly the best of friends.

"Luca, caro. Vieni qui." (Luca, dear. Come here.) Luca's Nonna peeked through the kitchen door with a warm smile. "Gianna ti sta chiamando." (Gianna is calling you.)

"Sì, nonna. Un secondo." (Yes Nonna, One second.) Luca replied politely to his grandmother, flashing Gio a weak smile. "We'll talk soon, okay."

"Sure..." Gio muttered through gritted teeth. "Maybe invite me next time you and Gianna hang out." He spat at Luca snarkily

"Gio, you're at practice half the time, don't be so fucking dramatic." Luca defended himself as best he could, but it was no use.

"Just go, Luca. I'm getting tired of chasing after you to hang out. These past few weeks I've tried ten times to hang and you're always cancelling or running off to God knows where." Gio said flatly. "Frankly, Luca I don't care anymore. Do what you want."

"Sei ridiculo, Gio!" (You're being ridiculous, Gio.) Luca said irritatedly before turning away.

"Cazzo, Luca, è la verità!" (Fuck, Luca! It's the truth!) Gio yelled out angrily as Luca stormed off towards the dining area. As he passed through the kitchen doors he locked eyes with his Nonna who looked at him with a sad knowing expression.

"Gli manchi, caro..." (He misses you, dear.) Nonna said stroking Luca's cheek lightly with a sad smile.

"Lo so, Nonna." (I know, Grandma.) Luca glanced down at the floor with at tinge of shame in his eyes.