lvl 53: last

Hana's POV

I sit on the swinging bench on the porch of the cabin, staring at the moon. I hear the squeak of the front door open and turn my head to see my sister, Sana. I softly smile at her who smiles back at me. She sits next to me on the bench and looks up at the sky with me.

"What's on your mind?" Sana asks. I look away from the shining moon and at my sister. She is healthier now that everyone is here together again. I am happy she is better.

"You almost died back at the sanctuary," I say but avoid contact with her. I feel a lodge in my throat as I speak. It felt like I was holding this in for a long time. "It was so hard to watch you sleeping, not knowing when or if you'd wake," I sigh and try to hold back my tears. "Now, all of my friends are going back there," I think about the boys who left to rescue Yeji and shake my head. "I don't want any of them to get hurt too," My shaky voice moves Sana to rest her head on my shoulder and hold my hand.

"Hana, before this outbreak, I remember how we would go out everyday on the streets of the city. We would do the most stupid but hilarious things," Sana giggles. I sigh and smile as I think about the old times.

"When we went to the boba place and you spilled your drink trying to puncture it with your straw with your eyes closed," I say and laugh softly. "I miss it."

"I do too. I remember the happy times in these sad times. It's crazy how the world could change so quickly. We take things for granted. I feel like the universe is telling us to hold onto the people close to us because we never know what could happen," Sana explains her philosophy.

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask.

"In case, one day, I'm gone. Just know that I love you and I know how much you love me. I don't want you to feel sad when I'm gone," I give Sana a look of doubt and she smirks. "Maybe be sad just a little but don't mope around like... like how we did with Channie," Sana sighs and the mood darkens. "I realized when we lost him that he wouldn't want us to give up and waste our time dwelling on the past," I nod and look down at the ground. "Don't think, I didn't get to tell Sana this or I didn't get to do this with Sana and now she is gone. I don't want you to have that mindset."

"What would you want me to do then?" I question.

"Be happy. Live life to the fullest. Stay hopeful," Sana says and smiles. I nod.

"The people I care about most are on that rescue mission," I say, hoping that they are safe. Sana notices my weariness.

"They're the strongest people I know," Sana sighs. "You're worried about Hyunjin?" I sigh and nod silently. Sana smirks and lifts her head from my shoulder.

"Ever since we met their group, there was something very different about him," Sana says. "Even though he had an attitude in the beginning, you were the only one that got him to open up. He cares about you a lot. I've always noticed that. This world may suck but when I look at you two, it makes me hopeful that we will get out of this mess," I smile softly and look at my sister.

"He left so suddenly," I frown.

"Did you kiss him?" Sana's question makes me embarrassed. I cover my face with my hands and giggle.

"What kind of question is that, Sana?" I giggle. Sana laughs with me.

"Did you kiss him?" Sana persistently questions.

"No," I continue laughing, shaking my head.

"No, I'm being serious though," Sana pulls my hands away from my face. "If he dies out there and you didn't kiss him... how would you feel?" Sana's words struck my heart. I stop laughing and pause as I ponder.

[I know I still wanted to go 

to the end with you]

Yeji's POV

"Your blood is a mutation. It's a gift. A gift that needs to be shared," JYP tries to convince. I sigh as I stare at the blinding ceiling light, shining on me.

"You killed my friends," I first say in a small voice. "Why should I believe you?"

"Ah, your friends," JYP remembers what he has done. I hear the regret in his voice. "I... I liked your friends, especially Bang Chan. He was a true leader and I admired him for that, but I have to protect my people first. Your group was a threat right when they trespassed grounds they were forbidden on."

"Why did you choose Felix? Why him as your assistant when it could've been anyone else?" I question. I remember when he first assigned us roles when we arrived at the Sanctuary. He said that Felix was special.

"You're basically asking me for a rundown of how I knew you, Felix, and Hana are immune," JYP sees what I am getting at.

"I'm going to die anyways once you take my blood," I say, with no remorse.

"Fine," JYP sighs through the intercom. "I will tell you."

JYP's Flashback

"Before this outbreak began, I was one of the honorable doctors working in this hospital. We tried to aid the patients that were infected as soon as they were rushed through the doors of the building. It felt hopeless trying to understand and prescribe them the correct treatment without knowing what illness we are dealing with. One of the patients was Felix's mother. She got bit but did not seem to show any symptoms of transformation unlike the other victims to the bite. We decided to run tests on her and found that she has a mutated gene that allowed her to resist the bite's effect. We decided to find her son. She was begging us to make sure that he was okay and then I luckily found your group. I recognized Felix through pictures his mother showed us."

"Where did his mother go when you brought us here?" I ask. JYP sighs and clicks his tongue against his cheek.

"It was a pity, really. We tried to save her but she grew very ill. It wasn't because of the bite but she died before I found you all," JYP explains.

"How did you find out Felix was immune?" I question.

"We placed him in one of the rooms with a zombie. He got bit but we killed the zombie before it could do any more damage," I feel anger pulse through my veins when he mentions risking Felix's life.

"Felix was bit because you forced him to be in a room with a zombie?" I repeat. "How cruel," I mutter.

"We had to find out if the mutation gene was expressed and it was," JYP says. I shake my head at the abuse JYP instilled.

"What about me and Hana?"

"I saw Hana's bite back when I was taking you all to the hospital. That's when I knew that Felix and Hana were special," JYP says. "Now you, I didn't believe you were immune at first. You were too shy and quiet for me to get any information or tests out of you. We took your blood in your sleep and compared it to Felix's. It was a perfect match,"

"This place was never a safe haven for anyone," I mutter. "You're lying to everyone in your Sanctuary. You lied to us."

"I do what I have to for my people," JYP simply responds.

"My friends will come for me. I won't let you take my blood," I shake my head and grit my teeth.

"I know your friends will come which is even better for me. More immunity to go around," JYP laughs and turns off the lights of the laboratory.