lvl 17: guns

"Where's Felix? I haven't seen him in forever," Jeongin states as he takes his seat at our table. I glance over at Minho and Yeji who are very quiet and continue eating.

"I heard JYP is making him do a lot of work so he sleeps upstairs," Ryujin speculates. I sip my tea as I hear her speak.

"Who told you that?" Seungmin asks.

"I just overheard it," Ryujin says and then takes a bite of her food.

"He's probably fine," Bang Chan says which makes me want to scream. I sigh and then eat my bagel.

"His black eye looked pretty bad when we saw him a few nights ago," Jisung says. "He kept saying he was fine."

"He said he hit it while fixing something," I lie and then continue to sip my tea, literally.

I look around and notice JYP out of his office room and glancing over at our group. I squirm in my chair and look over at Minho who sees my skeptical face. He mouths me a question and I tilt my head towards the direction where JYP is standing. Minho peers over and sees JYP conversing with JB. He looks back at me with a shocked face and I nod. I bite my food for comfort when JYP suddenly walks over to our table. He smiles and waves at us and most of us wave back politely. Yeri, Minho, and I just nod.

"I need some of you guys to run out for more medicine," JYP smiles.

"Is someone hurt?" Bang Chan asks with concern.

"Yes, it's a minor injury," JYP nods. "Don't worry, Channie. May I have the regular runners in your group to set out at ten for supplies," I look around and then sigh, I haven't been out there in so long.

"May I..," I raise my hand, and then my whole group stares down at me, including JYP. I shyly lower my arm and smile softly. "Um, may I run out for supplies too?" I ask. JYP looks at me with a confused face but then slowly nods.

"Sure," JYP says. "You guys will be leaving soon, get ready."

He then leaves and I finish my food as fast as I could and then run to my room. I quickly grab my journal and stick it into my tan backpack. As I gather some food into my backpack, I hear a knock on the door. I look up and see Hyunjin with a confused face. I smile when I see him and stand up straight as he enters the room.

"Are you sure you want to go?" He asks, concerned for me.

"I've been out there before, Hyunjin," I defend myself. "I'll be fine."

"Right," Hyunjin smiles and then steps closer towards me. "Are you okay? You have been distant," I tilt my head and try to avoid eye contact with Hyunjin.

"I'm fine," I say. I flinch when I feel a hand on my arm. I look up and see Hyunjin staring down at me, waiting for a truthful answer. "I'll, I'll tell you later."

"Guys," We both hear and see Ryujin at the doorway. "We're leaving now," We both nod and Hyunjin look back at me before we leave.

"Don't let them see your arm," Hyunjin warns me and pulls down my sleeve. I nod and then follow him out of the room.

"Look at our new runner!" I hear a voice greet me and smile to see a good-looking guy with two moles above his left eye. He smiles sweetly at me without showing his teeth and hands me a pistol. "I'm Jaebum but people call me JB around here," I nod and then look at Hyunjin who is beside me.

"JB, where is Jinyoung?" Hyunjin asks in an eager tone. I arch my brow when I hear his excited voice.

"JYP actually told him to stay behind for this run," JB says.

I glanced at Hyunjin and noticed a frown appear on his face which made me giggle. I walk away and towards the van outside. When I open the metal gate and am exposed to the outside again, I feel free. A gust of wind makes me shiver but also greets me with an inviting spell. I smile and look up at the clear, blue sky. I hear a whistle and quickly look at the van to see Changbin watching me. I giggle at myself as I breathe in the oxygen and walk over to the van.

"You look too happy to be outside in this dumpster of a world," Changbin says in a cute yet dark tone.

"I hate staying in the sanctuary," I shrug.

"What are you talking about? The sanctuary is the second, best thing that has happened to us since the outbreak," Changbin says. I tilt my head in confusion.

"What's the first, best thing?" I question. Changbin smirks and slowly looks into my eyes which makes me blush.

"You," Changbin says softly which makes my face turn red.

I smile brightly as a reflex and try to turn away from Changbin but then see Hyunjin behind me. A sudden drain of happiness escapes me as my heart drops. Hyunjin looks disappointed and just passes by me to enter the van. I bite my lip from speaking and making matters worse.

"C'mon guys, let's roll," JB states and gets into the driver's seat. I sigh and then enter the van.

[the confident needle of the compass,

turns around violently]

We arrive at a mall and circle to an empty emergency exit. We all quietly hop out of the van and scope out for any lurkers nearby. After clearing the area, we all head inside the mall. Murmurs and groans of zombies fill the mall as if it is playing on the speakers. It sends a shiver down my spine and I hold my breath. Everyone follows JB and Chan who are leading the group to a pharmacy store.

We suddenly hear gunshots in the pharmacy store and are alarmed due to the fact that none of us fired our guns. We all look at each other with surprised faces. JB gestures to us to stay quiet and looks through the window of the store.

Out of nowhere, JB gets shot in the shoulder and tries to fire back, and returns to safety.

"JB!" Chan says as he stares widely at an injured JB who is holding his right shoulder.

Blood starts seeping through his white shirt and a hole is now seen through his black jacket. More gunshots are fired.