lvl 30: superhuman

"What is happening to him?" I yell and Hyunjin's eyes open and he starts screaming.

"His body is reacting to your blood," Jae says.

"Can he handle it?" I ask and then Changbin and Jisung barge in with Felix and Woojin behind them.

"He hasn't turned yet but it doesn't look like he can take the blood," Jae says.

"What can I do?" I ask him.

"Put him on his side," Jae orders and I do so. Hyunjin's seizure passes and he stays still in shock. I wipe the tears from my face and sigh. "He's just in shock."

"Is he going to turn still?" Woojin questions.

"Animation should happen in less than three hours after being bit and if he was bitten last night and brought here in the morning, he lasted longer than most," Jae states.

"We gave him medication at the nursing home once he got bit," Felix says. "Do you think that did anything?"

"That might've postponed his animation," Jae guesses.

"What if he was already immune before?" Jisung asks.

"He shouldn't have gone into a brief coma. Immune or not, I've never seen someone act like this after being bitten," Jae explains.

"Hyunjin?" I say and come into his view. His eyes adjust on me and soften once they focus on me. "You were bitten. You haven't turned."

Hyunjin gets up slowly and sits upon the bed. He feels his head from his headache and groans. I let out a sigh of relief and immediately hugged him. Hyunjin is shocked by my embrace but wraps his arms around me and smiles.

"What happened?" Hyunjin asks.

"You were bit while on a run for supplies," Felix explains.

"Hana transferred her immune blood to you and it healed you," Jae says.

Hyunjin looks down at me and smiles. He holds my hand and squeezes it. I smile and lean my head on his shoulder.

"We have to run tests on you though. I have a feeling there is something different about you," Jae reveals. "The way you reacted to the bite is uncommon and the fact that I inserted immune blood into your bloodstream might've had something to do with your reaction."

"My head hurts," Hyunjin groans and feels his head once again.

"I need you all to leave if that's okay," Jae orders. All of us leave the room including me. I sigh and hold my chest in relief that Hyunjin is alive.

"Do you really think you cured him?" Woojin asks me and I shrug.

"He didn't turn," I say. "I think that if my blood did cure him."

"If that's the case, you, Felix, and Wonpil have the power to cure anyone else after they're bitten," Woojin says.

"We don't know that yet for sure," Jisung interferes. "Jae said that Hyunjin reacted differently to the bite and took longer to respond to it. That could mean something."

"Hopefully he's okay now," Woojin hopes. We all look down at the rest of the group who are in the parking lot conversing. "I should update them about Hyunjin," Woojin leaves Jisung and I. I lean on the railing and sigh as I stare at the blue sky above us.

"This immune thing is so confusing," Jisung says.

"What could connect Felix, Wonpil, and I?" I question. "And now Hyunjin?"

"Why are only you guys immune?" Jisung answers with a question. "Minho and Chan weren't immune but didn't deserve to die," It was like Jisung cast a dark atmosphere among us once he said those two names. I fall silent just thinking about them. "Sorry, I didn't mean to.."

"It's okay," I say. "You're right. I guess you'll never know if you're immune until you're bit yourself," I shrug.

[the side effects kicking in

against my will]

As night time approaches, two bodies finally arrive at the parking lot where the campfire is set up. Hyunjin walks over and sits next to me and wraps his arm around me which makes me smile.

"How did the test go?" Jihyo asks as she serves the food.

"He can hear and smell better," Jae states.

"Like me and Wonpil can," I state and everyone looks over at me. "We think it's a part of being immune."

"Felix, can you hear and smell better as well?" Changbin asks.

"I have been hearing and smelling better than usual," Felix says.

"Can you guys run faster than usual?" Hyunjin asks.

"You have superspeed?" Seungmin asks. Hyunjin smirks and stands up, he races around us faster than the speed of light and then sits back down next to me. I cover my mouth in shock.

"How is that possible?" Tzuyu covers her mouth.

"He was close to animation but Hana's blood saved him but then again, it was like he was fighting the bite longer than most people can," Jae explains.

"So you're saying that Hana's blood made him into a zombie/human hybrid?" Chaeyoung questions.

"Most likely," Jae answers.

"Woah," Yeji reacts and smiles at her older brother.

"He's stronger too," Jae says. "He held up the bed in the room with one hand. His reflexes are quick."

"What if ours are too?" Wonpil questions and we all look over at him.

"Should we test it?" Felix asks. They all turn their heads to me for an answer. I sigh and nod in agreement. Felix, Wonpil, and I all stand up.

"Wonpil, pick up Nayeon with one hand," Jae orders. Nayeon's eyes grow wide.

"What! Why..."

Nayeon is interrupted by Jae picking her up swiftly with one hand. We all watch in awe as he places her gently back down. Nayeon looks surprised and in shock.

"Hana, pick up the van."

I let out a breath and took my two hands, holding the van by its back doors and slowly holding up the van vertically. Everyone starts clapping as I place the van back down slowly.

"Felix, carry the log with one finger," Everyone's jaw drops once Felix does so.

"We have superhumans on our side!" Dahyun celebrates which makes everyone laugh.

a/n

sorry for taking so long to post :///

school things :(