midwife

this isn't the situation of how jongdae's baby was born, we all know she came in the hospital, but this is just for the story :) also making up a name for jongdae's wife!

it's my day off from work so jongin and i are lounging on the couch, mainly cuddling and occasionally making out, just trying to relax. as jongin pulls me into another kiss, hand cradling my jaw gently, my phone suddenly starts blaring out with a call. i pick it up and i become frantic when i see that jongdae is calling. he told us all that their baby could come any day and if we got a phone call in the next few days it would likely be for that reason.

"hey, oppa," i say.
"(y/n), you need to get here now," he rushes out. "sunyoung's gone into labour and she's already too far in to go to the hospital and the baby is coming soon so we need you to help."
"you know i've never actually delivered a baby before, right? i'm not a doctor, i've only watched."
"i know but our doctor can't make it here in time and you're the only one we know with any experience. please just come."
"okay, don't worry, i'm on my way. just breathe, okay? sunyoung needs you to be calm so she stays calm. i'll be there as soon as possible."

i hang up and after telling jongin the situation and grabbing the things i'll need, we rush to the car and speed off to jongdae and sunyoung's house. it's times like this where i'm glad i became a midwife. sometimes i don't know if it was really the right career choice, especially when things go wrong with births, but the fact that i get to help two people i love have a baby is just beyond gratifying.

once at the couple's house, jongin and i grab my equipment and rush up to the front door. i'm barely able to knock once before the door is thrown open and jongdae grabs my wrist, dragging me up to their bedroom. sunyoung is lying on some towels on the bed and i can see that she is very close to needing to start pushing.

"how are you feeling, sunnie?" i ask.

"fuck, it hurts so bad," she cries. i smile sympathetically and reach out to stroke her hair, trying not to grimace at all the sweat in it.

"you're doing so well, it'll be over before you know it," i assure her. jongin and i lay my things on the ground and i start pulling things out to get set up.

"alright, oppa, we need to get her legs out so i can get to the baby," i say to jongdae. "if you get behind her and hold her up in a seated position and we have her legs off the bed and resting on something, we should be good."

he nods so we bring sunyoung and the blankets to the end of the bed and jongdae settles behind her, letting her lean against his chest. i put her legs in position, just slightly up and spread out for me to be able to pull out and catch the baby. as i'm reaching for a pair of gloves, i realize that jongin isn't in the room and i don't know where he is.

"jongin, where are you?" i call out.

"outside," he replies. "i don't know if i should be in there."

"just come in, i might need your help to catch the baby," i say. he sheepishly walks in, refusing to look at me because of where i'm sitting.

"jongin, it's okay if you have to look," sunyoung says.

"i don't want to make you or jongdae uncomfortable," he says.

"what matters more now is that our baby comes safely," jongdae says. jongin nods and kneels down beside me, sliding on a pair of gloves.

"luckily i brought two pairs of scrubs today so put on a pair so you won't get messy," i tell him. we both slide a pair on then i settle back into position.

"okay, sunnie, seeing as we don't have painkillers this is going to hurt," i say. "just squeeze onto jongdae's hand if you need to, it doesn't matter if you hurt him."