adoption

jongin and i follow the adoption clinic owner into her office and sit in the seats in front her desk, holding each other's hands tightly.

"so, before we get started, i just want to ask you some questions," the woman says. we nod so she gets our file out.

"it says here that you have no other children, is there a reason you chose to adopt?" she asks.

"really the only reason is that i'm actually adopted and because it was one of the best things that happened to me, we decided we wanted to do the same for another kid out there," i say. she smiles, seeming to like the answer.

"are you financially prepared for a child?" she asks.

"yes, we have enough money set aside for the costs and we both have families willing to help us if we need it," jongin replies.

she asks us a few more questions before putting our file away and smiling at us.

"i am more than happy to tell you that we will be able to give you a child," she says. i let out a breath of relief and i can see jongin relax beside me. we were so unbelievably nervous for this appointment, worried that we wouldn't be able to adopt.

"thank you so much," we both say.

"of course," she says. "would you like to come and meet some of our kids?"

"yes please," i say. she takes us to the nursery area, as we want to adopt a very young baby, and jongin immediately brings me to a little girl in the middle of the room. she's a little black baby, unusual for korea, and jongin softens the second he looks at her.

"look at her little nose," he says. "she's so gorgeous, i want her."

the woman walks over to us and smiles, picking up the baby.

"this is 'baby k', she was brought in a few weeks ago," she explains. "apparently her mother was on vacation here when she gave birth and, being a single mother, decided she didn't want to have a baby. she's an angel, everyone loves her."

"i love her," jongin says. the woman hands her to him and her eyes open as soon as she's in his arms.

"hi, cutie," he whispers. "you're so beautiful, i just want to take you home."

he looks at me and the love in his eyes tells me that she's our baby.

"we'd love to adopt her," i tell the woman.

"great, let's go and sign the papers," she says. we go back to the woman's office, jongin fixated on the baby, and both sign the forms to take her home.

"do you have a name?" the woman asks.

"not yet, it seems kind of weird to give a korean name to a black baby," i say.

"she's technically korean as she was born here," she says.

"it's just like how you're technically korean even though you're white," jongin says. i nod in agreement.

"alright, you're good to go home, i wish you
all the best," the woman says. we thank her then go back out to the car where jongin hands me the baby.

"what a strange family we are," i say. "a korean man, a white woman, and a black daughter."

"we're going to be the best family, though," he says.

"we are," i agree. i look down at the baby who is staring back at me, big eyes wide in wonder.

"ruby," i say.

"hmm?" jongin asks.

"she's a ruby."

"our gemstone."

"our precious gemstone."

i place a kiss on ruby's head and bounce her gently until she falls back asleep. such a beautiful baby for our beautiful family.

jongin and babies hell yeah 😂 hope you liked it :)