best friends

this is based off of the picture above :) it is not my story and i do not take credit for it.

it was my first day of elementary school and i was so excited to meet new people and make friends. i skipped into my classroom and over to the seat i had decided i wanted to sit in. there was no one in the seat beside me at the time and i was eager to see who would sit beside me so we could be friends.

it didn't take long for someone to sit beside me so i looked over at the boy who did and smiled at him.

"hi, i'm (y/n)! let's be friends!" i said.

"i'm jongin," he replied. "but i don't want to be friends with you."

"why not?" i asked, completely put out immediately. before he could answer, the teacher began talking so i had to focus my attention on her and soon found myself forgetting what jongin had said.

it wasn't until recess that i remembered when i saw him playing with some of the boys in the playground. really wanting to sort things out, i stormed over to him and tapped on his shoulder. he turned around and frowned when he saw me standing there.

"what do you want?" he asked.

"i wanna know why you don't want to be friends with me," i said.

"because you're a girl," he said. "i'm only friends with boys because we can play the same games because boys are stronger than girls."

"i'm strong! i play with my older brothers all the time!"

"i bet you're not strong enough to punch me." only being 6 i took that accusation to heart and cocked my arm back before slamming my fist into his nose. he fell onto the ground and his hand moved up to cup his nose as blood began to drip down his face. he looked up at me with an amazed expression on his face but then was pulled away from me by our teacher.

"(y/n) (y/l/n)! you do not go around punching other students!" she said.

"he told me to!" i said. she obviously didn't believe me so she sent us both to the office where our parents were called to pick us up. jongin and i were sat a few chairs apart so 'i wouldn't be tempted to punch him again' and when our parents arrived my dad immediately scolded me for what i'd done.

"i think you should say sorry to mr. kim here," one of the office ladies said as she handed an ice pack to jongin's mother.

"oh, no, ma'am, she doesn't need to say sorry. i told her she couldn't do something and she proved me wrong so she doesn't need to," he said. our parents were speechless but jongin turned to me and grinned as much as possible through his likely broken nose.

"let's be friends!" he said. i grinned back and we hugged and our friendship was sealed at that moment.

——

"and that's how we became best friends," i conclude, chuckling at the shocked looks on our friends' faces. jongin slings his arm over my shoulder and nods, stroking some hair out of my face.

"you seriously became friends because jongin called you weak and you punched him?" chanyeol asks.

"of course," jongin says. "i needed a big, strong girl to protect me." i roll my eyes but he just pulls me into him and kisses the side of my head.

"and now you're engaged," baekhyun says. "need me something like that."

"you're like 20 years too late there, baek," i say. i lace my fingers with jongin's and turn my head to look back at him, smiling when he kissed me.

"i'm so glad you punched me all those years ago," he says.

"why?" i ask. "i broke your nose."

"yeah, but if you hadn't we wouldn't be together today." i grin and cup the back of his head to kiss him again.

"i love you," i say.

"i love you, too," he replies. i'm glad i punched him, too. i don't know what i would be today if i didn't have him.