Chapter 37: Hide and Seek

''I think we have a very big misunderstanding here, officer. This is an old abandoned building and I just ---"

''Nonetheless, it is written here that we are allowed to get inside and take a look.'' Dylan snatched it from Yves and waved the search warrant on the face of the tall man. ''Now if you may excuse us.''

“Boys, scan the whole area!” Yves told their men.

“Sir…” Donnie and his men shook their heads to Sebastian.

“Are you sure?” Sebastian asked the men.

“Yes. We already searched all the floors and rooms. We couldn’t find anything, sir.”

“Go back searching until you find any evidence and don’t come back until you find one, damn it!” Sebastian raked his hair and held onto the communication device beneath his jacket.

“Sir… We couldn’t find anything in here. ” Sebastian said.

******

“I knew it, that bastard can’t be trusted!” James leaned forward to check their current distance from the cargo truck they’re going after.

“James, what if he’s really telling the truth? What if Derrick’s been looking for him now and maybe he realized his own son betrayed him?” Sean said as he struggled driving , keeping up with the speed of the truck before them.

“He told Seb that the cargoes will be at the port at 12 midnight tomorrow, not today! Damn it!” James retorted.

“Exactly, Derrick might have had a change of plan. He’s not that stupid you know!”

“YAAAH!”

“What?”

“Why are you siding with that sickly pale, fuckin playing innocent man?”

“I am not James, I am just stating a possibility, without judgment unlike you.” Sean pointed out.

“Why you….”

“Will you stop that, James?” they heard Thomas’s voice from their earpiece. “Jasper’s currently talking to Sebastian, instructing him about the passage to the casino's basement."

“R-r-really?” James asked.

“Yeah, so if I were you, I would just concentrate on where you are heading and expect the unexpected! For all we know, Derrick might have a huge surprise for us.”

“Sir…” Sean butted in. “I'm getting a bad feeling about this. It's like they're just luring us.”

“I’m sending you another batch of back up. We’re not sure what’s inside it. We need to find out. But be prepared. it could also be a trap ” Thomas answered.

“Thanks sir.” Sean answered while James could just look out of the window.

******

“Yo, man this building is almost empty.” Yves said.

“Let’s keep going… who knows what awaits us---whooooooaaaaa!!!” Dylan landed with a thud face first on the floor as he tripped on the carpet.

“Damn, man! What the hell are you trying to catch?!!” Yves helped him up but then almost immediately, he heard a noise from below.

“Sir, are you okay in there?” one of their men behind them asked.

Yves held his index finger across his lips as he signaled their men to keep silent. Further tracing the direction of the sound, Dylan then removed the carpet and leaned his ear down on the cold wooden floorboards.